Jump to navigation Jump to search
Versions that Charlotte Brontë contributed to
- Manuscript (British Library Additional MSS 43474-6)
- The 1st edition, published in three-volume novel format on 16 October 1847 by Smith, Elder & Co. of London, England.
- The 2nd edition, published later in 1848 three-volume novel (Volume 2 transcription project, Volume 3 transcription project)
- The 3rd edition, published in 1851. This is the last edition to be published in the author's lifetime and thus have the benefit of the author's corrections. Most modern-day 'authoritative' editions are based on this edition.
- The 1st American edition, published in 1848 by Harper and Brothers, New York.
- An c. 1900 edition published by W. Nicholson & Sons, London that reproduces the second edition.