Jesus, whose blood so freely streamed
JEHOVAM-SHALEM, The LORD send peace by William Cowper
- Jesus, whose blood so freely streamed
- To satisfy the laws demand;
- By thee from guilt and wrath redeemed,
- Before the Father's face I stand.
- To reconcile offending man,
- Make Justice drop her angry rod;
- What creature could have formed the plan,
- Or who fulfil it but a God?
- No drop remains of all the curse;
- For wretches who deserved the whole;
- No arrows dipped in wrath to pierce
- The guilty, but returning soul.
- Peace by such means co dearly bought,
- What rebel could have hoped to see?
- Peace, by his injured sovereign wrought,
- His Sovereign fastened to the tree.
- Now, LORD, thy feeble worm prepare!
- For strife with earth and hell begins;
- Confirm and gird me for the war,
- They hate the soul that hates his sins.
- Let them in horrid league agree!
- They may assault, they may distress;
- But cannot quench thy love to me,
- Nor rob me of the LORD my peace.