Men of the Time, eleventh edition/Allon, Henry
ALLON, The Rev. Henry, D.D., Congregational minister, was born on the 13th of Oct. 1818, at Welton, near Hull, Yorkshire, and educated for the ministry at Cheshunt College, Hertfordshire. In Jan., 1844, he was appointed minister of Union Chapel, Islington, officiating at first as co-pastor with the Rev. Thomas Lewis, on whose death, in 1852, he became sole pastor. He was chairman of the Congregational Union in 1864–5. Although for the space of thirty-eight years he has been actively engaged in the pastoral and public duties of his ministry, he has found time to contribute largely to periodical literature, including the Contemporary Review; and Cassell's Biblical Educator. He also contributed an Essay on Worship to "Ecclesia," a volume of Essays edited by Dr. Reynolds. He wrote a "Memoir of the Rev. J. Sherman," which was originally published in 1863, and has passed through three editions; also a critical biography of the Rev. Dr. Binney, prefixed to a posthumous volume of his sermons, which he edited. In 1876 he published a volume of sermons, entitled "The Vision of God," which has gone through three editions. He has done much to promote church music in the Nonconformist churches, and compiled the "Congregational Psalmist," which is very extensively used in dissenting places of worship. Since 1865, he has been editor of the British Quarterly Review. In 1871 he received the honorary degree of D.D. from Yale College, New Haven, Connecticut. A new church, or "Congregational Cathedral," erected for him in Compton Terrace, Islington, at a cost of £41,466, was opened in Dec., 1877. In 1881 he was for the second time chairman of the Congregational Union in its Jubilee year.