Men of the Time, eleventh edition/Atlay, James
ATLAY, The Right Rev. James, D.D., Bishop of Hereford, was born at Wakerley, Northamptonshire, in 1817, and after a preliminary training at Grantham and Oakham Schools, entered St. John's College, Cambridge, where he obtained a fellowship. He was vicar of Madingley, near Cambridge, from 1846 to 1852; Queen's Preacher at the Chapel Royal, Whitehall, from 1856 to 1858. He occupied the position of senior tutor of his college at the time he was elected to the vicarage out of 38 candidates, by the trustees of the vicarage, who are 25 in number. This was in 1859, when the Rev. Dr. Hook, the former vicar of Leeds, was appointed to the deanery of Chichester. Dr. Atlay was appointed a canon of Ripon in 1861; and in 1868 was nominated by the Crown to the see of Hereford, in succession to Dr. Hampden. He married in 1859 Frances Turner, youngest daughter of Major William Martin, of the Bengal army.