Nupedia Open Content License
Nupedia Open Content License
- Version 0.9, 10/29/1999
The Nupedia Encyclopedia ("the Content") is a compilation of many people's contributions. Bomis, Inc. owns the copyright to the compilation of the different contributions, and makes the Nupedia Encyclopedia available to you to use under the following license agreement terms and conditions ('Nupedia Open Content License').
Items other than copying, distributing, and modifying the Content with which this license was distributed (such as using, etc.) are outside the scope of this license.
1. You may copy and distribute exact replicas of the Content as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give other recipients of the Content a copy of this License along with the Content. You may at your option charge a fee for the media and/or handling involved in creating a unique copy of the Content for use offline, you may at your option offer instructional support for the Content in exchange for a fee, or you may at your option offer warranty in exchange for a fee. You may not charge a fee for the Content itself. You may not charge a fee for the sole service of providing access to and/or use of the Content via a network (e.g. the Internet), whether it be via the world wide web, FTP, or any other method.
2. Attribution Requirement. As a material condition of this Nupedia Open Content License, you must provide the below applicable attribution statements on (1) all copies of the Content, in whole or in part, and derivative works thereof which are either distributed (internally or otherwise) or published (made available on the Internet and/or internally over any internal network/intranet or otherwise), whether distributed or published electronically, on hard copy media or by any other means, and (2) on any program/web page from which you directly link to/access any information contained within the Content, in whole or in part, or any derivative work thereof:
(a) If the Content in whole or in part, or any derivative work thereof, is made available via the Internet or internal network/intranet and/or information contained therein is directly accessed or linked via the Internet or internal network/intranet then you must provide the Nupedia attribution statement as described in the page(s) at the URL http://www.nupedia.com/attribution.html.
(b) If the Content in whole or in part, or any derivative work thereof, is made available on any hard copy media (e.g., CD-ROM, diskette, paper), you must place on the packaging a notice providing Nupedia attribution as described in the page(s) at the URL http://www.nupedia.com/attribution.html. If there is no `packaging', the previous attribution notice should be placed conspicuously such that it would be reasonably viewed by the recipient of the Content.
(c) If you are using or distributing the Content in modified form (i.e., with additions or deletions), you must include a statement indicating you have made modifications to it. Such statement should be placed with the attribution notices required by Sections 2(a) and 2(b) above.
Bomis, Inc. grants you the non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use the above identified Nupedia attribution statements solely for the purpose of the above attribution requirements, and such use must be in accordance with the usage guidelines that may be published by Nupedia from time to time as part of the above URLs.
3. You may modify your copy or copies of the Content, or any portion of it, thus forming works based on the Content, and distribute such works under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent notices stating that you changed it, the exact nature and content of the changes, and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Content or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License, unless otherwise permitted under applicable Fair Use law.
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Content, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Content, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it. Exceptions are made to this requirement to release modified works free of charge under this license only in compliance with Fair Use law where applicable.
4. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to copy, distribute or modify the Content. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by distributing or translating the Content, or by deriving works herefrom, you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or translating the Content.
5. BECAUSE THE CONTENT IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE CONTENT, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE CONTENT "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK OF USE OF THE CONTENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE CONTENT PROVE FAULTY, INACCURATE, OR OTHERWISE UNACCEPTABLE YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
6. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MIRROR AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE CONTENT AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE CONTENT, EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
7. Errors and Changes. From time to time Bomis, Inc. may elect to post on the page(s) at the URL http://www.nupedia.com/attribution.html certain specific changes to the Content and/or above attribution statements, which changes may be to correct errors and/or remove content alleged to be improperly in the Content. So long as you are exercising the license to the Content hereunder, you agree to use commercially reasonable efforts to check the page(s) at the URL http://www.nupedia.com/attribution.html from time to time, and to use commercially reasonable efforts to make the changes/corrections/deletion of content from the Content and/or attribution statements as may be indicated at such URL. Any changes to the Content posted at the page(s) at the URL http://www.nupedia.com/attribution.html are part of the Content.