42 Southern Historical Society Papers.
of Tennessee in 1861; (2d) commanding division in Army of Mis- sissippi, 1863.
399. Born South Carolina. Appointed South Carolina. 8.
Major- General, October 7, 1861; (ist) commanding Department of Southern Virginia and North Carolina; headquarters at Norfolk, Va., in 1861; (2d) commanding division in Army of Northern Vir- ginia in 1862; (3d) appointed, August 26, 1862, inspector of ord- nance and artillery for Confederate States army; served as chief of Bureau of Ordnance, Trans-Mississippi, in 1864.
NATHANIEL H. STREET. 414. Born North Carolina. Appointed North Carolina. 23.
1826. ALBERT S. JOHNSTON.
436. Born Kentucky. Appointed Louisiana. 8.
General, May 30, 1861. Commanding Department of the West. Killed April 6, 1862, at Shiloh.
EDWARD B. WHITE.
437. Born South Carolina. Appointed South Carolina. 9. Colonel, commanding Third Battalion, South Carolina Artillery.
FRANCIS L. DANCY.
438. Born North Carolina. Appointed North Carolina. 10.
Adjutant-General of State of Florida, October 25, 1861. (Brig- adier-general.)
453. Born Maryland. Appointed Maryland. 25.
Brigadier-General, June 9, 1862. Commanding brigade Heth's Division, A. P. Hill's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.
JAMES A. J. BRADFORD. 473. Born Tennessee. Appointed Kentucky. 4.
Colonel of artillery, August 20, 1861. Commanding Tenth North Carolina Artillery.
LEONIDAS POLK. 477. Born North Carolina. Appointed North Carolina. 8.