accomplish nothing. In 1628 Standish captured Thomas Morton, of Merry Mount (q. v.). In retaliation for an attack of D'Aulnay (see Charnisé, Aulnay de), who drove away in 1635 a party of Plymouth men at Penobscot, Plymouth despatched a vessel and a force under Standish to compel the surrender of the French at that post; but this expedition failed. In addition to being the military leader of every exploit of importance in the colony, his counsel was often required in civil affairs, and for many years he was also treasurer of the colony. He was not a member of the Plymouth communion, but was a dissenter from the dissenters. He was resolute, stern, bold, and of incorruptible integrity, “an iron-nerved Puritan who could hew down forests and live on crumbs.”
A portrait, painted on an old panel, was found in 1877 in a picture-shop in School street, Boston, bearing the date 1625, and “Ætatis Sua, 38,” on which the name of M. Standish was discovered after removing the frame. It now hangs in Pilgrim hall, Plymouth, and is reproduced in the accompanying vignette. His first wife, Rose, died on 29 Jan., 1621, and his second courtship has been made the subject of a romance by Henry W. Longfellow, in which there are several anachronisms. Although his envoy, John Alden, won his chosen bride, Priscilla Mullens, they remained close friends until death, and later generations of the Standish and Alden families intermarried. A tradition says that his second wife, Barbara, was the younger sister of Rose Standish. In his will, dated 7 March, 1655, he left his property to his wife, Barbara, and to his four sons, Alexander, Myles, Josias, and Charles. His goods and chattels, worth £350, were exhibited in the court that was held in Plymouth on 4 May, 1657. One of his swords is preserved in the cabinet of the Massachusetts historical society, and another is in Pilgrim hall, Plymouth. Several other relics are in the possession of the Pilgrim society, which also owns a piece of ingenious embroidery made by his daughter, Lora. In 1632 several of the “Mayflower” families settled in Duxbury, Mass. Standish established himself on “Captain's Hill,” so named from his military office, and it is probable that he was buried there. It is supposed that his house stood unchanged until about 1666, and that it was then enlarged by his son Alexander, who it is thought was a trader and possibly town-clerk of Duxbury. The present house was built by this son. A granite monument is now being erected to his memory on Captain's Hill, Duxbury, as seen in the accompanying illustration. The shaft is one hundred feet in height and upon it stands a statue of Standish looking eastward. His right hand, holding the charter of the colony, is extended toward Plymouth, while his left rests upon his sheathed sword.
STANFORD, Leland, senator, b. in Watervliet, Albany co., N. Y., 9 March, 1824; d. in Palo Alto, Cal., 21 June. 1893. His ancestors settled in the valley of the Mohawk, N. Y., about 1720. When twenty years old he began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1849, and the same year began to practise at Port Washington, Wis. In 1852, having lost his law library and other property by fire, he removed to California and began mining for gold at Michigan bluff, Placer co., subsequently becoming associated in business with his three brothers, who had preceded him to the Pacific coast. In 1856 he removed to San Francisco and engaged in mercantile pursuits on a large scale, laying the foundation of a fortune that had recently been estimated at more than $50,000,000. In 1860 Mr. Stanford made his entrance into public life as a delegate to the Chicago convention that nominated Abraham Lincoln to the presidency. He was an earnest advocate of a Pacific railroad, and was elected president of the Central Pacific company when it was organized in 1861. The same year he was elected governor of California, and served from December, 1861, till December, 1863. As president of the Pacific road he superintended its construction over the mountains, building 530 miles in 293 days, and on 10 May, 1869, drove the last spike at Promontory point, Utah. He also became interested in other roads on the Pacific slope, and in the development of the agriculture and manufactures of California. In 1885 he was elected to the U. S. senate for the full term of six years from 4 March, 1886. In memory of his only son, Mr. Stanford gave the state of California $20,000,000 to be used in founding at Palo Alto a university whose curriculum shall not only include the usual collegiate studies, but comprise instruction in telegraphy, type-setting, type-writing, journalism, book-keeping, farming, civil engineering, and other practical branches of education. The corner-stone was laid on 14 May, 1887, and the various structures were completed within three years, and the institution in successful operation. Ex-President Harrison delivered a course of law lectures there in 1894. Included in the trust fund for the maintenance of the university is Mr. Stanford's estate at Vina, Tehama co., Cal., which is said to be the largest vineyard in the world. It comprises 30,000 acres, 3,500 of which are planted with bearing vines. Mr. Stanford died suddenly at Menlo Park, his magnificent residence.
STANLEY, Anthony Dumond, mathematician, b. in East Hartford, Conn., 2 April, 1810; d. there, 16 March, 1853. He was graduated at Yale in 1830, was appointed tutor in 1832, and professor of mathematics in the same institution in 1836, which office he held until his death. He published an “Elementary Treatise of Spherical Geometry and Trigonometry” (New Haven, 1848), and “Tables of Logarithms of Numbers, and of Logarithmic Sines, Tangents, and Secants to Seven Places of Decimals, together with Other Tables” (1849). He also edited an edition of “Day's Algebra,” assisted in the revision of “Webster's Quarto Dictionary” (1847), and left several unfinished works in manuscript.
STANLEY, David Sloan, soldier, b. in Cedar Valley, Ohio, 1 June, 1828. He was graduated at the U. S. military academy in 1852, and in 1853 was detailed with Lieut. Amiel W. Whipple to survey a railroad route along the 35th parallel. As lieutenant of cavalry from 1855 till his promotion to a captaincy in 1861, he spent the greater part of his time in the saddle. Among other Indian engagements he took part in one with the Cheyennes on Solomon's Fork, and one with the Comanches near Fort Arbuckle. At the beginning of the civil war he refused high rank in the Confederate army. In the early part of the war he fought at Independence, Forsyth, Dug Springs,