Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/101

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.


fiA8Lfi-LtraAK0 g5 BASUTOLAND

nominated by the protohegumenos of each province The present diocese of Baele (excluding Lugano)

assisted by his council. The studies particularly embraces the cantons of Solothum, Lucerne, Berne,

cared for are : Ukranian, Slavonic, Greek, Latin, and Zug. Aargau, Thurgau, Basle-Land, Basle-Stadt, and

a sufficient knowledge of German and Polish; two Schaffhausen, and in 1920 contained 543,941 Cath-

yeais of philosophy and four of theology. The dies and 1,114,409 non-Catholics. The majority

instruction of youth is one of the principal works of the people speak German, although there is a

of the Order. large proportion of Frenchnspeaking people in the

About 1895 the Basilians undertook the reform Canton of Berne. The diocese is divided into 29

of the Basilian Sisters. These now number twelve deaneries, 29 rural chapters, 406 parishes, and 157

housest, where they have established normal schools chaplaincies, and counts about 660 secular and 85

for teachers, colleges for young girb, boarding regular clergy. The religious orders established

schools, or orphanages. One of their houses, com- here include: Capuchins with 7 houses, 74 priests,

prising a novitiate, orphanage, and printing press, 25 clerics and 27 lay brothers; the Hermit Brothers

is in the United States at Philadelphia. In addition of Lutheme, who have become hospital nurses in

to the reform of the Basilian Sisters properly so the Sanitorium Franziskusheim; the Benedictines

caUed, the Basilians aided in the foundation of the of Mariastein, who have only 5 priests, the rest

Con^egation of the Servants of the Blessed Virgin having gone to Bregenz in Austria; Sisters of the

(Slujebnit^ Presviatsda Bogoroditey), whose chief Holy Cross of Menzengen, and Sisters of Baldegg,

works are elementary schools and orphanages, and Cham and Ingenbohl (284), who conduct institutes

ivho have about eighty houses in Galicia and many for girls and a great number of elementary schools.

in the new world. More recent than these are three Thb Diocesb of Lugano. — ^This diocese is under

other congregations: The Sisters of St. Joseph the administration of Rt. Rev. Aurelio Bacciarini,

(losefitky). Sisters of St. Josaphat (losafatky), and bom in the diocese 1873, ordained 1897, rector of

the Myrophores (Mironositsy). the Lower Seminary of PoUegio 1903, entered the

In their way of life and the works to which they congregation of the Servites of Charity at Como

are devoted, the Basilians resemble more the clerks in 1909, rector of the new parish of St. Joseph in

regular of the West than monks. To satisfy mon- Rome 1912, made superior general of his order in

astic aspirations of a more contemplative tendency. 1915, and appointed titular Bishop of Daulia and

the metropolitan, Andrew Szeptyckyj, instituted administrator Apostolic of Lugano 12 January, 1917.

earlier in the twentieth century the Order of He is still superior general, and was named an

Studites, the name of which indicates the tradition a49Bistant at the pontifical throne 26 Au^st, 1921,

to which they are attached. The provisory con- and two days later celebrated the silver jubilee of

stitutions were promulgated 26 October, 1905, his priesthood. On this occasion a public Mass

approved by the bishop of the province of Halyc- was sung which was attended by the papal nuncio,

li^opol, 30 December, 1906, and are now being Mgr. Maglione, many bishops and prelates, official

examined by the Holy See. One monastery estab- representatives of the Government and 25,000 of

lished first at Sknilov, near L^opol, was ruined by the faithful. An address, signed by 100,000 of the

the war and has been temporarily transferred to people of Tessin, and a purse of 65,000 francs were

Uniov. The hegumenos is Clement Szetyckyj, presented to the bishop; the latter he devoted to

brother of the metropolitan, and he has -imder him the seminary and the invalid clergy. The diocese

forty religious. of Lugano comprises the canton olTessin, an area

of 1761 sq. miles, with a Catholic population of

Basle-Iingano, Diocesb of (Basilebnbnsis et 160,000, who use Italian as the common language.

Luganhnsis; cf. C. E., n-33Sd), the largest diocese By 1920 statistics there are 252 parishes, of which

in Switzerland, is directly subject to the Holy See. 54 are of the Ambrosian Rite ; 4 collegiate churches

These two dioceses are joined by an external union with chapters, besides the Cathednd at Lugano,

only, the Bishop of Basle having no spiritual juris- which also has a chapter; 1 upper seminary, 1

diction over the diocese of Lugano, which is gov- lower seminary of the Ambrosian Rite, at Pollegio,

emed by an administrator Apostolic. This see is 150 seminarians; 796 churches or public chapels,

now (Ifi^) filled by Rt. Rev. Johamies Stammler, 400 clergy, and numerous communities of religious,

bom in Bremgarten 1840, ordained 1863, made a The episcopal residence is at Lugano and an epis-

papal chamberlain 1891, dean of the new deanery copal chateau is also maintained at Balema. Upon

1899, appointed 4 July, 1906, and made an assistant the death of the administrator the cathedral chapter

at the pontifical throne 14 July, 1913. In June, elects a vicar capitular to administer the diocese

1920, Bishop Stammler celebrated his eightieth until the appointment of a new administrator by

birthday and received the official felicitations of the Holy See.

?^e?r2^S^cS! ^o ^SSU'^^KStd *acJvS »««' '""' ^^^ <>-• See Gcabeu,^

of his administration. However, he is not yet Basntoland, Vicariate Apostolic op (Basxtto-Lan-

officially recognized by the Government of Berne, dbnsib; cf. C. E., II-346a), in South Africa. It is

which for the last forty years has recognized instead a British Protectorate and is administered by native

the Schmismatio bishop, who has about 500 chiefs under a British resident commissioner, offi-

adherents. On 23 September, 1912, a motion was cially appointed by the Crown, assisted by a regular

made in the Grand Council to obtain recognition, parliament of chiefs and some other members, also

but it was rejected in May, 1913, and again, after appointed by the Crown. The National Assembly,

another attempt^ the following November, when or "Pisto," which formerly met once a year, is now

an adverse decision was reached by a vote of 138 only an esrtraordinary meeting convoked on special

against 30. However, the increasingly friendly atti- occasions, i. e., on a visit of the High Commissioner

tude of the Government gives nope of future for South Africa. This territory, formerly a pre-

recognition; in January, 1918, when the Diocesan fecture Apostolic, was raised to a vicariate 18

Coimcil decided to raise the salary of the bishop February, 1909, and the Rev. Father Cenez, then

to 20,000 francs, the Executive Council of Berne nrefect apostolic, was appointed titular Bishop of

promised to assist by the pa3rment of 1865 francs, Nicopolis and Vicar Apostolic of Basutolano, 25

this decision being subject to ratification by th« January, 1909. In 1908 the Sisters of the Holy

Grand Council. Cross of Menzingen, Switzerland, came to the coun-