on a secret mission to Sweden, and on 25 April 1808 he was promoted major-general, but he was not sent upon foreign service until the beginning of 1812, when he was ordered to Sicily. He there commanded the division at Messina until September 1812, when he proceeded to Alicante to take command of the troops on the east coast of Spain. He was, however, superseded by Major-general Campbell in December 1812, who was in his turn superseded by Sir John Murray in March 1813, when Clinton took the command of the 1st division. This division he commanded at the battle of Castalla on 13 April 1813, but from that time he failed to live in harmony with Sir John Murray. That most unsuccessful general managed to quarrel with the admiral commanding, Admiral Hallowell, his second in command, Clinton, and his quartermaster-general, Colonel Donkin, and it is to this disunion that the failure of the British army to take Tarragona was due. Lord William Bentinck took command of the army in the east of Spain on 17 June 1813, and on leaving it he sent Sir John Murray to England and again gave Clinton the command-in-chief. The general had now no very difficult task; his wary enemy, Suchet, was obliged to fall back on France because of the advance of Wellington in the west, and Clinton had only to watch him, and then to form the blockade of Barcelona. At the conclusion of the war, Clinton was made colonel of the 55th regiment, and promoted lieutenant-general, and in January 1815, on the extension of the order of the Bath, he was made a G.C.B. He now took some part in politics. He had been elected M.P. for Boroughbridge with his brother in 1806 in the interest of the Duke of Newcastle, and after sitting for that place till 1818 he was in that year elected M.P. for Newark in the same interest, and sat for that town till 1830. In 1825 he received the office of lieutenant-general of the ordnance, which he held till 1829, and in December 1826 he received the command of the division of five thousand men which was sent to Portugal to maintain order there, and brought them back in April 1828. On 22 July 1830 he was promoted general, and in the same year he resigned his seat in the House of Commons, and retired to his country seat, Cockenhatch, near Royston in Hertfordshire, where he died at the age of seventy-six, on 23 Dec. 1846. Clinton married in 1797 Lady Dorothea Louisa Holroyd, youngest daughter of John Holroyd, first earl of Sheffield, and by her had a family of two sons, both officers in the Grenadier guards, and two daughters.
[Royal Military Calendar; Napier's Peninsular War.]
CLIPSTONE, JOHN (fl. 1378), divine, was a native of Nottingham, and a member of the Carmelite convent of St. Nicholas in that city. He was also professor of sacred literature at Cambridge University. He wrote a variety of theological and devotional works, the style of which is much praised by Leland.
[Tanner's Bibl. Brit.-Hib.]
CLISSOLD, AUGUSTUS (1797?–1882), Swedenborgian, born in or about 1797, the son of Augustus Clissold of Stonehouse, near Stroud, Gloucestershire, was matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford, on 6 Dec. 1814, the same day as his elder brother, Henry Clissold (Exeter College Admission Book). He took the ordinary B.A. degree on 19 Nov. 1818, proceeding M.A. on 13 June 1821. In the last-named year he was ordained deacon, and in 1823 was admitted to priest's orders by the Bishop of Salisbury (Dr. Thomas Burgess [q. v.]). He held for some time the curacies of St. Martin-in-the-Fields and St. Mary, Stoke Newington, but having become an enthusiastic student of the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, he withdrew from the ministry about 1840, although he remained nominally connected with the church of England to the end of his life. He continued to reside at Stoke Newington, with occasional migrations to his country house, 4 Broadwater Down, Tunbridge Wells, and he died at the latter place on 30 Oct. 1882, in the eighty-sixth year of his age. Clissold translated and printed at his own expense Swedenborg's ‘Principia Rerum Naturalium,’ 2 vols. 8vo, London, 1845–6, and ‘Œconomia Regni Animalis’ (edited by J. J. Garth Wilkinson), 2 vols. 8vo, London, 1846, both of which he presented to the Swedenborg Association, started in 1845 for the publication of Swedenborg's scientific works, and merged, after its task had been accomplished in a great measure, in the larger Swedenborg Society. Of this association Clissold was chosen president. In 1838 Clissold joined the Swedenborg Society as a life member, and in the same year he was placed on the committee. In 1840 he was elected chairman of the annual meeting. In 1854 he purchased for the use of the society a seventy years' lease of the house, 36 Bloomsbury Street, which has since become the depôt of ‘New Church’ literature. During the stormy time through which the Swedenborg Society passed in 1859 and 1860 Clissold assisted it liberally with money, and by his will he bequeathed to it the sum of 4,000l. In 1870 he busied himself in forwarding the publication of the work known as ‘Documents concerning the Life and Cha-