the early age of sixteen entered the university of Dublin, where he gained a classical scholarship, and was awarded the vice-chancellor's prize for English poetry in 1851. At the degree examination in 1853 he came out second senior moderator and gold medallist in classics. He held the curacy of St. Matthias, Dublin, for seven months in 1855, and was afterwards presented by his grandfather, Mr. Heard, to the vicarage of Rincurran. Here his earnest preaching attracted large congregations, and he soon had to enlarge the church. Among other works commenced and carried out by him with great success were a special class for servants and the chaplaincy to the garrison at Charles Fort. On 11 Jan. 1867 he resigned Rincurran, was for a short time rector of Ballymoney, co. Cork, and then became rector of Stackallen, co. Meath, and private chaplain to his friend and diocesan, Samuel Butcher [q. v.] In August 1867 he left Stackallen for the vicarage of St. Matthias, Dublin. In the metropolis his fame crowded his church, where he preached morning and evening every Sunday, and when it was found necessary to rebuild his church, he preached in the large concert hall in the exhibition palace to congregations which averaged upwards of three thousand persons. After a last service held in this place on 31 July 1870, he took possession of his new church. His influence in Dublin was great, not only among adults, but with students and young ladies. As soon as the new constitution of the ‘disestablished’ church came into action, Daunt was elected to the responsible office of diocesan nominator. He was also chosen the representative canon in St. Patrick's Cathedral for the united diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, and was named a member of the committee connected with the general synod called the ‘revision committee,’ where he sided with the ‘party of movement;’ but his influence was largely exercised in acting as a peacemaker. The incessant labour in Dublin was now telling on Daunt's health, and his old friend the Bishop of Cork offered him in 1875 the deanery of Cork and the rectory of St. Finbarre, which he accepted. But his health was broken. He died at St. Anne's hydropathic establishment at Blarney on 17 June 1878, and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery, Dublin, on 21 June. He married, 24 Feb. 1863, Katherine Mary, daughter of the Rev. John Leslie, rector of Castlemartyr. He was the author of: 1. ‘The Church. A Lesson-book for Angels,’ 1872. 2. ‘The Person and Offices of the Holy Ghost. Six Donnellan Lectures preached in the Chapel of Trinity College, Dublin,’ 1879. 3. ‘The Morning of Life, and other Gleanings from the manuscripts of the late A. Daunt,’ 1881.
[Wynne's Spent in the Service: a Memoir of the Very Rev. A. Daunt (1879), with portrait; Some Account of the Family of Daunt, by John Daunt (1881), pp. 25–8, with portrait; Times, 18 June 1878, p. 9.]
DAUS, JOHN (fl. 1561), translator, is conjectured to have been a native of Suffolk, from the circumstance that his dedication of Bullinger's ‘Sermons’ is dated from Ipswich. He translated from the Latin: 1. ‘A famouse cronicle of oure time, called Sleidanes Commentaries, concerning the state of Religion and common wealth, during the raigne of the Emperour Charles the fift,’ Lond. 1560, fol. Dedicated to Francis, earl of Bedford. 2. ‘A Hvndred Sermons vpon the Apocalips,’ by Henry Bullinger, Lond. 1561, 8vo, 1573, 4to. Dedicated to Thomas, lord Wentworth.
[Tanner's Bibl. Brit. p. 222; Add. MSS. 5867, p. 44 a, 19165, f. 104; Strype's Annals, vol. i. pt. i. p. 383, 8vo; Zurich Letters, 1st ser. p. 99; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. (Herbert), pp. 633, 634.]
D'AUVERNE, EDWARD (1660–1737), military historian, belonged to the Jersey branch of the D'Auvergne family, claiming descent from a cadet of the house of the last reigning Duke of Bouillon. He was son of Philip d'Auvergne of Jersey, and born in that island in 1660. He entered Pembroke College, Oxford, at Michaelmas term, 1679, and took his degree as B.A. 1684, and M.A. 4 May 1686. Wood (Athenæ Oxon.) speaks of him as holding the living of St. Brelade in Jersey. In 1691 he was chaplain to the Scots guards, and served with that regiment throughout the wars in Flanders under William III, of which he became the historian. Afterwards he was made one of the king's domestic chaplains. Narcissus Luttrell records his appointment to that post, in the room of Dr. Willis, in 1699, and that ‘Dr.’ D'Auvergne, as he styles him, was about to accompany the king to Holland (Relation of State Affairs, iv. 322). On 11 Dec. 1701, upon the preferment of Dr. Huntingdon to the bishopric of Raphoe, D'Auvergne was given by the king the rectory of Great Hallingbury, Essex, which he held up to his death. In 1729 D'Auvergne married Esther, daughter of Philip Le Geyt, lieutenant bailey of Jersey, and by her had one child, Philip. The latter had a large family, and lost a son, a midshipman, in the Royal George at Spithead in 1782. D'Auvergne died at Great Hallingbury 2 Dec. 1737.
He was author of: 1. ‘History of the