Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 28.djvu/355

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been validated.
Hutt
Hutt
349

the Sikh army, pursued their Afghan allies to the entrance of the Khyber Pass. In 1860 the brigade of Bengal artillery, of which Huthwaite had been appointed colonel-commandant in 1854, was transferred to the royal artillery. He was made a K.C.B. in 1869, and died at his residence, 'Sherwood,'Nynee Tal, North-west Provinces, on 4 April 1873.

[Information supplied by the India Office; Army Lists and the manuscript records of the Bengal Army; Stubbs's Hist. of the Bengal Artillery, London, 1877, vol. ii.; Narratives of the First and Second Sikh Wars.]

H. M. C.

HUTT, JOHN (1746–1794), captain in the navy, uncle of Sir William Hutt [q. v.], was promoted to be lieutenant in 1773. In 1780 he was serving in the West Indies on board the St. Lucia brig, and in October was moved into the Sandwich by Sir George Rodney, who, on 12 Feb. 1781, promoted him to the command of the Antigua brig. In May, when De Grasse attempted to recapture the island of St. Lucia, the Antigua was lying in Dauphin Creek, where she was seized and burnt, Hutt and the ship's company being made prisoners. In November he was allowed to return to England on parole, and, being shortly afterwards exchanged, was tried for the loss of his ship, and acquitted. In July 1782 he was appointed to command the Trimmer sloop for service in the Channel, and from her was posted, in the following year, to the Camilla of 20 guns, in which he went out to Jamaica. The Camilla returned to England in November 1787, and in July 1790 Hutt commissioned the Lizard frigate. In September he was sent off' Ferrol to get intelligence of the Spanish force, and brought back the news that the Spanish fleet had retired to Cadiz. In 1793 he was appointed to the Queen as flag-captain to Rear-admiral Sir Alan Gardner [q. v.], whom he had already known as commodore on the Jamaica station. He was serving in this capacity in the fleet under Lord Howe on 28-9 May 1794, when the admirable way in which the Queen was handled excited general attention. She was equally distinguished in the action of 1 June, in which Hutt lost a leg. No serious danger was at first apprehended, but after the return of the fleet to Spithead the wound took an unfavourable turn, and Hutt died on 30 June. A monument to his memory, in conjunction with that of Captain John Harvey [q. v.], who was also mortally wounded in the action, was erected, at the public expense, in Westminster Abbey.

[Official Letters and other documents in the Public Record Office.]

J. K. L.

HUTT, Sir WILLIAM (1801–1882), politician, third son of Richards Hutt, of Appley Towers, Ryde, Isle of Wight, was born at 2 Chester Place, in the parish of St. Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, on 6 Oct. 1801, and was privately baptised in February 1802. He was educated at private schools at Ryde and Camberwell, matriculated from St. Mary Hall, Oxford, 15 Feb. 1820, where he remained until August 1820, and then studied with a private tutor at Hatfield, Essex, until he entered at Trinity College, Cambridge. He graduated B.A. in 1827, and M.A. in 1831. A Cambridge friend, Lord Arran, introduced him to Mary, daughter of J. Milner, of Staindrop, Durham, and countess dowager of Strathmore, whom he married on 16 March 1831. She was an heiress, and in her lifetime Hutt resided at Streatlam Castle, Durham, and at Gibside. He was M.P. for Hull from 13 Dec. 1832 to 23 June 1841, and for Gateshead from 29 June 1841 to 26 Jan. 1874. He supported free trade, took an active part in colonial and commercial questions, was a commissioner for the foundation of South Australia, and received the thanks of the London shipowners for his exertions in the extinction of the Stade and Sound dues. As a member of the New Zealand Company, he was instrumental in annexing those islands to Great Britain. He was made paymaster-general, vice-president of the Board of Trade, and sworn in a privy councillor on 22 Feb. 1860. In 1865 he successfully negotiated at Vienna a treaty of commerce with Austria, and was appointed on 1 March 1865 a member of the mixed commission to examine into the Austrian tariff. He was nominated a K.C.B. on 27 Nov. 1860. He died at Appley Towers, Ryde, on 24 Nov. 1882, leaving his landed property to his brother, Major-general Sir George Hutt, K.C.B. (see below). His first wife. Lady Strathmore, died on 5 May 1860, leaving him collieries which produced about 18,000l. a year. He married, secondly, on 15 June 1861, Fanny Anne Jane, daughter of the Hon. Sir Francis Stanhope, and widow of Colonel James Hughes; she died in 1886.

Hutt, Sir George (1809-1889), brother of the above, was a distinguished officer of the old Indian artillery. He served with credit through the Scinde and Afghan campaigns of 1839-44, and for the performance of his battery at Meeanee was made a C.B. He commanded the artillery in the Persian war of 1857, and rendered valuable aid to Sir Bartle Frere in Scinde during the mutiny. When he retired in 1858 the government of Bombay thanked him for his services. In 1865 he became registrar and secretary to the commissioners of Chelsea Hospital, and