April 1872 Miss Havers married Mr. Frederick Morgan, an artist, but she always continued to be known professionally under her maiden name. She first exhibited at the Society of British Artists in Suffolk Street, and in 1873 for the first time at the Royal Academy, She quickly obtained success and popularity, and her pictures were always given good places at the various exhibitions to which she contributed. One of her early pictures, 'Ought and carry one,' was purchased by the queen, and has been engraved. In 1888 she removed to Paris with her children, in order to be under the influence of the modern French school of painting. In 1889 she exhibited at the Salon two pictures, one of which (exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1888), 'And Mary kept all these sayings in her heart,' attracted much attention and was honourably commended. Her career was, however, cut short by her sudden death, at her residence in Marlborough Road, St. John's Wood, London, on 26 Aug. 1890. She left two sons and one daughter. Miss Havers was an industrious worker, and executed many kinds of tasteful art-illustration. She illustrated some of the stories written by her sister, Mrs. Boulger, better known under her pseudonym of 'Theo. Gift.'
MORGAN, Sir ANTHONY (1621–1668), soldier, born in 1621, was son of Anthony Morgan, D.D., rector of Cottesbrook, Northamptonshire, fellow of Magdalen College, and principal of Alban Hall 1614-1620 (Foster, Alumni Oxon. 1500-1714, iii. 1027). The elder branches of the family were seated in Monmouthshire, where they possessed considerable influence. Anthony matriculated at Oxford from Magdalen Hall on 4 Nov. 1636, was demy of Magdalen College from 1640 until 1646, and graduated B.A. on 6 July 1641 (Bloxam, Reg. of Magd. Coll. v. 172). Upon the outbreak of the civil war he at first bore arms for the king, and was made a captain. The prospect of having his estate sequestered proved, however, little to his liking. He therefore, in March 1645, sent up his wife to inform the committee of both kingdoms that he and Sir Trevor Williams undertook to deliver Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire into the parliament's power if they received adequate support. He also hinted that he ought to be rewarded by the command of a regiment of horse. Colonel (afterwards Sir Edward) Massey [q. v.] was instructed to give him all necessary aid (Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1644-1645, p.356). By January 1646 he had performed his task with such conspicuous success that Fairfax was directed to give him a command in his army until a regiment could be found for him in Wales (ib. 1645-7, p. 313), and on 3 Nov. following the order from the lords for taking off his sequestration was agreed to by the commons (Commons' Journals, iv. 713). Morgan, an able, cultured man, soon won the friendship of Fairfax. By Fairfax's recommendation he was created M.D. at Oxford on 8 May 1647 (Wood, Fasti, ed. Bliss, ii. 106). On 8 Oct. 1648 Fairfax wrote to the speaker, Lenthall, asking the commons to pass the ordinance from the lords for indemnifying Morgan for anything done by him in relation to the war, and on 27 Oct. he wrote again, strongly recommending Morgan for service in Ireland (letters in Tanner MS. lvii. 341, 391). Both his requests were granted (Commons' Journals, v. 668), and Morgan became captain in Ireton's regiment of horse (Sprigge, Anglia Rediviva, ed. 1647, p.325). Various grievances existed at the time in the regiment, and the officers, knowing that Morgan could rely on the favour of Fairfax, asked him to forward a petition to the general (his letter to Fairfax, dated from Farnham, Surrey, 16 Oct. 1648, together with the petition, is printed in ' The Moderate,' 1724 Oct. 1648). He took up his command in Ireland about 1649 (Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1656-7, p. 103).
In 1651 parliament granted him leave to stay in London for a few weeks to prosecute some chancery suits upon presenting a certificate that he had taken the engagement in Ireland (Commons' Journals, vi. 606); and in 1652, upon his petition, they declared him capable of serving the Commonwealth, notwithstanding his former delinquency (ib. vii. 169). He was then major. From 1654 until 1658 he represented in parliament the counties of Kildare and Wicklow, and in 1659 those of Meath and Louth. He became a great favourite with lord-deputy Henry Cromwell, and when in town corresponded with him frequently. His letters from 1656 to 1659 are preserved in Lansdowne MS. 822. In July 1656 on being sent over specially to inform the Protector of the state of Ireland (Thurloe, State Papers, v. 213), he was knighted at Whitehall. The next year Henry Cromwell requested him to assist Sir Timothy Tyrrell in arranging for the purchase of Archbishop Ussher's library. At the Restoration Charles knighted him, 19 Nov. 1660 (Townsend, Cat. of Knights, p. 49), and appointed him commissioner of the English auxiliaries in the French army. When the Royal Society was instituted Morgan was elected an original fellow, 20 May 1663 (Thomson, Hist. of Roy.