Poynet [q. v.], bishop of Winchester, is also assigned to him.
[Addit. MS. 24491, f. 197; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert, p. 1123; Bale, De Scriptoribus, i. 755; Bloxam's Magd. Coll. Register, iv. 99; Foster's Alumni Oxon. early ser.; Lansdowne MS. 983, f. 139; Le Neve's Fasti, ed. Hardy, ii. 41, 86, 94, iii. 26, 37; Lowndes's Bibl. Man. ed. Bohn, p. 2071; Robinson's Original Letters relative to the English Reformation, pp. 374, 425; Strype's Works (general index); Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, ii. 51, Fasti, i. 128; Zürich Letters, ii. 308.]
RENNY, GEORGE ALEXANDER (1825–1887), major-general royal artillery, son of Alexander Renny, an English merchant, settled at Riga in Livonia, was born at that place in 1825. A branch of the family had been settled in Russia for more than a century. His mother was left a widow shortly after his birth. She went to Scotland with her son and daughter in 1827, and settled at Montrose, Forfarshire, near her husband's relatives. Renny was educated at the Montrose Academy and at the military college of the East India Company at Addiscombe. He obtained a commission as second lieutenant in the Bengal horse artillery on 7 June 1844, and went to India in December.
Renny took part in the Satlaj campaign from 24 Jan. 1846, and was present at the battle of Sobraon on 10 Feb. 1846. He received the Satlaj medal. He was promoted first lieutenant on 6 Oct. the same year. He commanded the faithful 5th native troop of the first brigade of the Bengal horse artillery during the mutiny, 1857–8. Renny was engaged with the rebels in Jalandhar on 7 June 1857, and was at the siege of Delhi from 23 June. When the assault of 14 Sept. was made, Renny commanded No. 4 siege battery, covering the assault; and when the storming was over he took some gunners of his troop with 12-pounder mortars to shell the houses and streets in front of the attack. During the 14th and 15th a captured gun in the Kashmir bastion was turned on the enemy by his troop. On the 16th he was engaged in the attack on the magazine. After its capture had been gallantly effected, the enemy advanced to the lofty walls of the magazine under cover of a heavy cross-fire from the high houses on the right and also from the Sélimgarh and the palace. Renny, with great pluck, climbed to the top of the magazine wall and pelted the enemy with live shells, which were handed up to him with their fuses lighted. He continued to perform this dangerous feat until the enemy were forced to retire and the safety of the magazine was assured. His troop turned the mortars captured at the magazine on the Sélimgarh and the palace. For his gallant conduct he received the Victoria cross. He was further engaged at the capture of the Sélimgarh and of the palace on 20 Sept. After taking part in the operations in the Mozaffarnagar district, he commanded the native horse artillery in Rohilkhand in 1858 under Brigadier-general Walpole, and took part in all the operations of the campaigns, including the action of Sisseah, near Philibít, on 15 Jan. 1859. Both Walpole and Lord Clyde expressed in general orders their high appreciation of his conduct and that of his troop, which was ‘beyond all praise.’ Renny also received the commendation of the government of India and the medal for the Indian mutiny with two clasps.
Renny had been promoted captain on 17 April 1858, and on 20 July he had received a brevet majority for his services at Delhi, for which he had been specially mentioned in a supplementary despatch of Sir A. Wilson. He was promoted to be brevet lieutenant-colonel on 1 June 1867. He commanded D battery F brigade of the horse artillery throughout the Hazara and Black Mountain campaign of 1868, when his mountain battery was carried on elephants. He received the Indian medal and clasp for Hazara. He was promoted regimental lieutenant-colonel on 28 Aug. 1871, and colonel in the army on 28 Aug. 1876. As colonel he commanded the royal artillery in Sind, in the Máu division, and also the station of Ahmednaggar. He retired from active employment on 31 Dec. 1878 with the rank of major-general. Renny died at Bath on 5 Jan. 1887, and was buried in the Locksbrook cemetery.
Renny married in India Miss Flora McWhirter, who died in 1893. By her he had three sons and three daughters, who survived him.
[Royal Artillery Records; Malleson's Hist. of the Indian Mutiny; Vibart's Addiscombe, its Heroes and Men of Note; Despatches; private sources.]
RENOUARD, GEORGE CECIL (1780–1867), scholar, born at Stamford, Lincolnshire, on 7 Sept. 1780, was youngest son of Peter Renouard (d. 1801) of Stamford, adjutant in the Rutland militia, by Mary, daughter of John Henry Ott, rector of Gamston, Nottinghamshire, and prebendary of Richmond and Peterborough. George entered St. Paul's school, London, in 1793, and in the same year, on the nomination of George III, was admitted on the foundation