ships to Jamaica. On 28 July they fell in with two French ships of war, one of which, the Jason of 54 guns, engaged and took the Gosport after an obstinate defence. On 19 Oct. following St. Lo was tried for the loss of the ship and fully acquitted. He was shortly after appointed to the Tartar, also of 32 guns, which, during the following summer cruised from the Channel, in the Soundings, and as far as Lisbon. In 1708–1709–10 he commanded the Salisbury prize in the North Sea, and in May 1710 was appointed to the Defiance, a 64-gun ship, employed in the West Indies in 1711–12. On Christmas day 1712, on her way home from Jamaica, she put into Kinsale in distress, being fifty men short of complement and having eighty sick. She did not reach the Downs till 26 March 1713. In 1720–1 he was captain of the Prince Frederick, flagship of Rear-admiral Francis Hosier [q. v.] in the Baltic, and continued in her till 1723. In 1726 he went out to the West Indies in the Superbe, one of the squadron with Hosier, and succeeded temporarily to the chief command on Hosier's death on 25 Aug. 1727. He continued the blockade of Porto Bello for some little time longer, till, having ascertained that all the Spanish ships were laid up, and, for want of stores, quite unable to be fitted for sea, he returned to Jamaica. There he was superseded by Vice-admiral Edward Hopsonn on 29 Jan. 1727–8. The squadron returned to the Spanish coast in February, and on 8 May Hopsonn died, leaving the command again to St. Lo, who held it for eleven months, when he too died on 22 April 1729. He had been promoted on 4 March to the rank of rear-admiral, but had not received the news. He was unmarried, but by his will provided for a natural son, an infant.
[List books and official letters in the Public Record Office; Charnock's Biogr. Nav. iii. 284.]
ST. LO, GEORGE (d. 1718), commissioner of the navy, was on 16 Jan. 1677–8 appointed lieutenant of the Phœnix in the Mediterranean. From her he was removed to the Hampshire, and on 11 April 1682 he was promoted to be captain of the Dartmouth, to which he was recommissioned in March 1685. In August 1688 he was appointed to the Portsmouth, attached to the fleet in the river under Lord Dartmouth [see Legge, Geortge, Lord Dartmouth], and, continuing to command her after the revolution, was in 1690 captured by the French and carried, severely wounded, into Brest, where, and at Nantes, he remained a prisoner for some time. His wound probably disqualified him for further service afloat, and in 1692 he was appointed a commissioner of prizes, in 1693 an extra commissioner of the navy, and in 1695 resident-commissioner at Plymouth, where in 1697 he was directed to guard and assist the workmen employed in the construction of the first Eddystone lighthouse. For this service the Terrible was appointed; but in June St. Lo took her off to join the fleet, without leaving any other ship to take her place, whereupon a French privateer made a swoop on the rock and carried off all the workmen and the architect. They were, however, presently released, and St. Lo received a sharp reprimand from the navy board for his neglect of their orders. In 1703 he was moved to Chatham as resident commissioner, and on 21 Oct. 1712, on abolition of the office ‘for easing the public charge,’ he was appointed commander-in-chief of all ships in the Medway and at the Nore. On the accession of George I he was superseded, and was not employed again. His will (Somerset House, Tenison, 200), dated 4 Oct. 1716, and proved 8 Oct. 1718, mentions his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Amphilis Chiffinch, and his brother-in-law, Thomas Chiffinch; also two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, and a son John. Edward St. Lo [q. v.], who appears to have been another son, is not mentioned.
In 1693 St. Lo published an interesting, but now rare, pamphlet, under the title of ‘England's Safety, or a Bridle to the French King’ (sm. 4to).
[Charnock's Biogr. Nav. ii. 95; Duckett's Naval Commissioners; Hardy's Lighthouses; Commission and Warrant Books in the Public Record Office.]
ST. MAUR. [See Seymour.]
ST. MOLYNS, Lord of. [See Kavanagh, Cahir Mac Art, d. 1554.]
SAINTON, PROSPER PHILIPPE CATHERINE (1813–1890), violinist, son of a merchant, was born at Toulouse on 5 June 1813, and educated at the college there with the idea of ultimately becoming a lawyer. His musical taste led to his entering the Paris conservatoire on 20 Dec. 1831, where he was a pupil of Habeneck, and won second and first prizes for violin-playing in 1833 and 1834 respectively. After quitting the conservatoire he was a member of the orchestras of the Société des Concerts and the Grand Opéra for two years. He then made a concert tour on the continent, ultimately returning to Toulouse in 1840 to fill