Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 50.djvu/214

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.


Holy Scriptures, ancient fathers and school divines,’ London, 1613 (dedicated to King James). 2. ‘A Treatise of Paradise and the principall Contents thereof, especially of the greatnesse, situation, beautie, and other properties of that place,’ London, 1617, 8vo (dedicated to Sir Francis Bacon). He also left manuscripts fit for the press, among them two concerning controversies between Rome and the church of England (see Foley, Records, v. 854); and another concerning the end of the world (see Wood, Athenæ Oxon. iii. 489).

[Authorities as in text; Foley's Records of the English Province of the Society of Jesus, v. 854, vi. 355; Dodd's Church History, iii. 319.]

W. A. S.


SALKELD, WILLIAM (1671–1715), legal writer, was the son of Samuel Salkeld of Fallowden, Northumberland, who died in 1699, and came of an ancient Cumberland family. He was born in 1671, and matriculated at St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, on 22 April 1687, at the age of fifteen (Foster, Alumni Oxon.). He entered himself as a student of the Middle Temple, 2 May 1692, and was called to the bar on 3 June 1698. He settled in Dorset on his marriage, in 1700, with Mary, only daughter and heiress of John Ryves of Fifehide Nevill in that county. He acquired a portion of that manor, disposing in 1707 of his paternal estate of Fallowden. Having in the meanwhile attained to a fair practice at the bar, Salkeld was in 1713 appointed chief justice of the great sessions for the counties of Carmarthen, Cardigan, and Pembroke. On 24 Jan. 1715 he became serjeant-at-law, and, in spite of the change of dynasty, he presided over the Carmarthen circuit until his death on 14 Sept. following. He was buried in the church of Fifehide Nevill, where a monument was erected to his memory. His widow died in 1723, aged 42, leaving three sons and three daughters. Serjeant Salkeld is best remembered as a diligent and painstaking law-reporter, his ‘Reports of Cases in the King's Bench, 1689–1712,’ published after his death in 1717 and 1718, being the standing authority for that period. With others he translated into English the ‘Reports of Sir Creswell Levinz in the King's Bench, 1660–1697,’ which appeared in 1722.

[Hutchins's Hist. of Dorset.; Haydn's Book of Dignities, ed. Ockerby; Hist. Reg.]

W. R. W.


SALL, ANDREW (1612–1682), Irish jesuit, born at Cashel in 1612, belonged to a good old family whose tombs are still preserved there. His father's name is nowhere mentioned. He was educated at St. Omer for the priesthood, and became a jesuit. From 1652 to 1655 he was rector of the Irish College at Salamanca, and ‘reader in the chair of controversy against heresy there,’ in which capacity he was licensed by the Spanish inquisitor-general to read prohibited books. He was at the same time professor of moral theology. Afterwards he was professor of divinity in the colleges of Pampeluna, Palencia, and Tudela, all in the north of Spain. During his residence at Pampeluna he was intimate with Nicholas French [q. v.], who called him his ‘unicum solatium’ in exile there (Preface to Sall's Catholic and Apostolic Faith). The jesuits' fourth vow, that of special allegiance and obedience to the pope, was taken by Sall at Valladolid, probably in 1657 or 1658. This vow admits to the highest rank of the order, and by the constitution is not taken before the age of forty-five. In October 1659 Sall was at Nantes, whence he wrote a letter about the sufferings of his church in Ireland (Moran, Spicilegium Ossoriense, i. 428).

The exact date of Sall's return to Ireland does not appear, but he was provincial superior of the Irish jesuits in July 1664 (Walsh, Remonstrance, pp. 495, 575, 579), and not before the winter of 1662 (ib. pp. 84, 670). On 15 June 1666 he subscribed officially to the loyal remonstrance of the Roman catholic clergy (ib. p. 684). Sall's long and varied theological studies had the effect of making him doubt whether the church of England was not more in the right than the church of Rome. He argued the point for six years with Thomas Price [q. v.], the protestant archbishop of Cashel, but without making any public declaration. Rumours of his intended change were in circulation about the beginning of 1674, and Sall believed his life to be in danger. Price, with the mayor and ‘other English gentlemen of the city of Cashel,’ sent a mounted party to bring him safe to the archiepiscopal palace. Sall remained under Price's protection, and publicly challenged the Roman catholics to resolve his doubts. On 17 May 1674, being the fourth Sunday after Easter, Sall made a public declaration of his adhesion to the church of England in St. John's Church, Cashel. Sall considered his new confession a ‘safer way for salvation than the Romish church,’ but admits that he would probably not have declared himself openly but for Essex's proclamation ordering regular priests to leave Ireland, which grew out of the proceedings of the English parliament in January 1673–4. After taking the final leap Sall went to Dublin, and John Free, superior of the Irish jesuits, invited him to a