Until the alterations were made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners this diocese contained the whole of Hampshire, with the Isle of Wight; the whole of the county of Surrey except eleven churches and chapels in Croydon deanery, peculiars to Canterbury; and one parish in Wiltshire called Whitchbury. The isles of Jersey and Guernsey are also accounted to be within this diocese.
There are two archdeaconries in this diocese, viz. Winchester and Surrey.
The members of the cathedral are the dean and twelve prebendaries, who are not charged with the payment of first fruits and tenths.
BISHOPS OF THE WEST SAXONS.
- By order in council, dated 8th Aug. 1845, borough of Southwark, and the parishes of Christ Church Southwark, Battersea, Bermondsey, Camberwell, Clapham, Lambeth, Rotherhithe, Streatham, Tooting Graveney, Wandsworth, and Merton, in the county of Surrey and diocese of Winchester were to be, from and after the next avoidance of the see of Winchester, detached from that diocese and annexed to that of London.