The priory of Carlisle was surrendered into the hands of king Henry VIII 9th Jan. 1539-40, in the 31st year of his reign, who thereupon, by charter dated 8th May 1542, erected a new society, to consist of a dean and four prebendaries. He likewise rededicated the church, then called the church of the blessed Virgin Mary of Carlisle, and ordered that it should be called the cathe- dral church of the holy and undivided Trinity of Carlisle, and appointed
Lancelot Salkeld, the last "prior of Carlisle, the first dean of this new foundation. He enjoyed it during king Henrys reign, but in the beginning of king Ed- ward Vlth's reign he was deprived^ ^. Thomas Smith, afterwards knighted, was appointed to succeed him by king Edward, but on the accession of queen Mary to the throne he was deprived, and Lancelot Salkeld restored in 1553; he was a second
time deprived in 1559, ^'^^ Sill Thomas Smith restored in 1559. He died 12th Aug. 1577, and was buried in the church of Theydon- Mount in Essex ^^. John Wooley, A.M., was made dean nth Oct. J577 : void by the death of sir Thomas Smith. He died at Pyrford in Surrey, in the latter end of Feb. or the beginning of March 1595, and was buried in St. Paul's cathedral'^'. Chihstovher Perkins, afterwards knighted, succeeded
sir John Wooley, and died in Aug. 1622. Francis White, S.T.P., was presented 14th Sept. and installed 15th Oct. 1622, and in 1626 he was made bishop of this sec. William Peterson, S.T.P., 7th Dec. 1626: promoted to the deanery of Exon in 1629.
48 Coll. Todd, MS. 41. Ex Epitaphio. ^ Ibid.