��After tlie long" service of forty-two years, Mr. J. J. Bennett has resio-ned the keepership of the botanical collections at the British Museum. When, in 1828, Mr. Bennett became Mr. Robert Brown's assistant, the her- barium of Sir J. Banks had only just become national property, and Mr. Brown had been appointed -its tirst keeper. Till the death of the latter, in 18.58, Mr. Bennett worked laboriously at the naming and arrangement of the constantly increasing national collection. For the last eleven years, as head of the botanical department, Mr. Bennett's uniform courtesy and kindness, and the readiness with which he has always placed his great stores of information at the disposal of all who applied to him have been conspicuous and fully appreciated. How varied and extensive that know- ledge is, is known to too few, though the exhaustive notes of the ' Plantte Javanicse Eariores ' are some published evidence. It is with great regret that we chronicle a loss to the Museum which can scarcely be replaced, but we trust that freedom from official cares and duties may long preserve among us one who is esteemed by all who know him.
The Perthshire Society of Natural Science have in contemplation the establishment of a Cjuarterly magazine, the proposed title of which is ' The Scottish Naturalist and Journal of the Perthshire Society of Natural Science,' to be specially devoted to the record of observations and dis- coveries made in the North. As the subscription is only 3s. 4t?. annually (including postage), we hope that many will send their names to Mr. A. T. Scott, Clydesdale Bank, Perth, the Hon. Secretary. The first number will appear this January.
The first volume of the ' Transactions of the Newbury District Field Club ' is in prepar;ition, and will appear about March next. It will con- tain a list of Berkshire plants by Mr. Britten.
We hear that the directorship of the Calcutta Botanic Gardens, vacant since the lamented death of Dr. T. Anderson, is likely to be filled by the appointment of Dr. King.
Among some MSS. of Pulteney's, lately acquired by the Linnean Society, is a Flora (pp. 121) of the neighbourhood of Loughborough, Leicestershire. It has the date 1719, and must have been one of Pulteney's earliest efforts. It contains a good many coloured drawings of Lichens and Fungi. A list of the rare plants found in this neighbourhood w^as afterwards contributed by Pulteney to Nichols's ' History of Leicester- shire' (1790).
Mr. H. C. Watson has published a complete list, with critical notes of the Phanerogams and Ferns of the Azorean Isles, in Mr. Godmau's ' Natural History of the Azores.' We shall notice at length this interest- ing catalogue in our next number.
We are glad to hear that the authorities of the Post-Office have under consideration a revision of the rules at present in force with reference to the sample and pattern post. The recent regulations restricting the articles which may be sent by this method to bond-fide trade samples have proved very vexatious to botanists, as well indeed as to all classes