Class in the School of Literce Htmianiores, and a First Class in Mathematical Honours. He was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in Jan. 1846, and having gained a large practice as a ChMioery bar- rister, he obtained a silk gown in Jan. 1866. He was made a bencher of his Inn in Jan. 1867, and was appointed Standing Counsel to the University of Oxford in 1872. He was appointed in June, 1877, to succeed the late Sir George MeUish as one of the Lords Justices of Ap- I)eal of the High Court of Judica- ture, and he received the honour of knighthood and was sworn of the Privy Council in the following month. The University of Oxford conferred upon him the honorary degree of D.C.L. in Oct. 1877. He married in 1853 Clemence, young- est daughter of the Kev. Thomas Streatfield, of Chart's Edge, Kent.
COUCH, The Bioht Hon. Sib Richard, born in 1817, was called to the bar at the Middle Temple in 1841, and practised for many years on the Norfolk circuit. He was for some years Recorder of Bedford, but in 1862 was appointed a Puisne Judge of the Bombay High Court, entering upon office in August of that year. In April, 1866, on the retirement of the late Sir Matthew Sausse, he was promoted to be Chief Justice of the High Court of Judicature at Bombay, receiving soon afterwards the honour of knighthood; and in 1870 he suc- ceeded Sir Barnes Peacock as Chief Justice of the High Court at Cal- cutta. He resigned the latter post in 1875, when his name was added to the roU of the Privy Council. He was appointed a member of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in Feb. 1881.
COULTHAET, John Ro88,F.S.A. (Scot.), the representative of the ancient Scottish family of Coult- hart of Coulthart, chiefs of the name, was born in 1807, at Den- bie, Dumfriesshire, and educated at the grammar school of Buittle
in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright. In 1827 he entered the law and banking offices of Messrs. Hannay and Lidderdale, of Castle Douglas, and in 1836 was selected to establish and manage the Ashton, Staly- bridge, Hyde, and Glossop Bank, in the county of Lancaster, which he successfully accomplished, and afterwards continued its chief manager, and one of its largest proprietors. He published in 1838
- ' Decimal Interest Tables " at
various rates not exceeding five per cent., a work which is highly prized by bankers, as it greatly promotes accuracy and expedition in the cal- culation of interest at their half- yearly periods of balancing. In 1843 he published a "Report on the Sanitary condition of Ashton- under-Lyne," which attracted much public notice, and was quoted with commendation in both Hoiises of Parliament. In 1855 he was ap- pointed mayor of the manor of Ashton - omder - Lyne, in 1858 a justice of the peace for Lancashire, and in 1860 a captain in the 2drd Regiment of Lancashire Rifle Volunteers. In 1862 he was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn^ and in 1864 he published two volumes of
- Equation Interest Tables " at
rates varying between 5 and 10 per cent., which are of great practical utility to accountants in banks when the minimum rate of discount by the Bank of England exceeds 5 per cent. In 1876 he was appointed a magistrate for Ashton-under- Lyne, and at the general election in 1880 he was a candidate for the representation of that borough in Parliament, the votes at the close of the poll being for Coulthart (Conservative) 2,5^, and for Mason (Liberal) 2,966, the total number of electors on the register being 5,901. In 1880 he purchased the estate of Greenlaw, near Castle Douglas, formerly the seat and property of the Viscounts Kenmure, whose 4th Lord died there in 1663 at the old fortress^ the remains of which still