Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/238

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
192
NOTES TO SUSSEX.

ash tree standing within the area of the foundations. Barpham chapel is neither named nor indicated in either the map of the county engraved by Hondius, 1610, that by Kip about 1670, or that of the original edition of Camden. It is affirmed, that "the church had fallen to decay before the time of Elizabeth." (Horsfield's Suss. II, 141.)

Bargham and Burgham, now Burpham, are clearly distinguished from each other in (A.D. 1291), being mentioned separately under different authorities in the diocese. The Domesday title "Bercheham" and the church are considered to belong to Bargham, not to Burpham, because the latter seems most likely to have been comprised under "Wepeham," which is specially named by itself, and must be the same place now existing as Wepham close to the present village of Burpham. The (Nonæ Roll) speaks of the church and parish of "Burgh'm," which entry occurs immediately after Fishbourne, and before Alciston, without any clue to identify the place intended. In that record the names stand in such (apparent) confusion, that it is not easy to say whether " Burgh'm" means Bargham, Birdham, Burpham, or Burton, which are not otherwise noticed; but the Inquisition having been taken at Chichester, the name perhaps signifies some parish in the western division of the county.

18. Barnham.—This place was royal property in ancient times, having been bequeathed by King Alfred to his nephew Athelm under the title of "Burnham." (Asser's Alfred by Wise, 77.)

19. Battle.—Here is a church of chancel, nave with north and south aisles possessing chancels, south porch, and square west tower with battlements and stair turret. The aisles also have battlements and stair turrets. The building is chiefly E.E., with Dec. and later windows. In the main chancel is a trefoil-headed piscina under a small trefoiled arcade, and two sedilia quite plain without canopies. In the south chancel is a trefoiled straight-arched piscina, mutilated; also three niches with groined canopies, mutilated. In the north chancel is a double piscina under a cinquefoiled ogée-headed arch. Near the north door is a small roundheaded window, internally splayed only eastward. At the east end of the north aisle, both within and without the outside wall, are some appearances, difficult to explain. Some alteration must have taken place here. The roodloft passages remain through the piers of the chancel arch, and over the arch between the north aisle and its chancel. The north chancel