rectory from A.D. 1301 to A.D. 1414 (Bishop's Registers), but there is no other evidence of its existence as a separate parish. Salmon states, that part of Berghes church was standing in 1736 as a barn; but it is reported, that divine service was performed there within the memory of persons living in 1804. No mention of Berghes occurs in the Bishop's registers between 1446 and 1492, and nothing relating to it is found there after 1500. (M. & B.) "Berge," it will be perceived, is named in (D. B.) but in Copthorne hundred, Bansted belonging to that of Wallington.
9. Bermondsey.—"There is a new and handsome church. Ibi noua et pulchra æccla." (D. B.) It is stated, that the present parish church was erected in 1680 (to replace an older one; it is in wretched taste. A. H.), and that that mentioned above was the conventual church, which was taken down by Sir Tho. Pope, after he had purchased the site of the abbey in 1541, for the purpose of building a manor-house. (M. & B.) A Cluniac priory, afterwards promoted to the dignity of an abbey, was founded in Bermondsey about A.D. 1082 by Aylwin Child. (Monast. V, 85.) A view is given in the Hist. of Surrey of some portion of the abbey church, exhibiting Norm, mouldings; but it is not said at what date that fragment of the edifice was standing.
10. Betchworth.—Brass: William Wardyworth, vicar, 1533. (M. & B.)
11. Bramley.—In the History of Surrey it is remarked, that the three Domesday churches were probably Bramley, Shalford, and Chilworth (St. Martha). The last-named place being described in the manor of Bramley, that church is very likely to have been one of the three; but Shalford church is specially mentioned separately; wherefore I should rather assign the other to Wonersh, which church is now distant from that of Bramley only a mile, if so much; in a straight line certainly less.—That of Bramley is a cross church of very plain character, without aisles, the tower forming the northern limb of the cross. The west doorway is plain late Norm. On each side of the nave a very plain doorway of later date has been closed. All the ancient features of the windows of the nave have been destroyed. The south transept is E.E. with lancet windows, and the tower is apparently of about the same date, but much injured by modern repairs and alterations. The chancel also is very plain, but bold and effective, E.E. work, probably earlier than the rest. It has three good lancets at the east end, the middle one the