nexation with North Cray is preserved in the parish chest of that place, having appended thereto a beautiful, perfect seal of Card. Pole. This church was one of those small edifices, of which the chancels were distinguished from the naves only by the interior fittings. The statement, alluded to above p 142 in the Custumale Roffense (p. 246) is, that the chancel "yet" contained "two confessionary stalls with mitred arches and seats in them," as also "the receptacle for holy water. This report is dated in 1774. Thorpe says, that a southern entrance was "enlarged" into the existing barn-doors.
277*. Ryarsh.—Chancel, nave, south aisle with porch, and west tower There is a Norm, piscina in the chancel. Part of the approach to the roodloft yet remains; also a few fragments of coloured glass. In east end were sundry small Norm, windows, now one late Perp. Some Dec. work appears. Most windows Perp., as is the tower. The door at the bottom of the tower stairs has a good handle and scutcheon. In the yard is a gravestone ornamented with a cross.
280. Sandwich.—The charter of King Cnut bestowing this place upon Christ's Church, Canterbury is repeated by Mr. Kemble (Cod. Dipl. VI, 191), where however the document is marked as being suspicious, if not spurious.
319. Sutton-at-Hone.—Chancel, nave, wide south aisle with porch, and west tower. All windows, except in tower, Dec., the three-light east window, with flowing tracery, being built up. The church was not entered.
329. Throwley.—Wylrington or Wilrentune, now Walderton or Wilderton, lying due north of Throwley church, is an ancient manor in this parish, the site of the chapel of Wylrington, mentioned from Hasted above, p. 160. This must have been an early foundation, because it appears, that, near the commencement of the thirteenth century, a dispute had arisen between the abbot of St. Bertin's and the lady of Wylrington manor, in consequence of the latter having suspended a bell in her chapel (see, p. 300, a similar case at Waldron, Sussex, about the same period, namely, A.D. 1233) to the prejudice, as alleged, of the mother church of Throwley. The matter being referred by the pope to the consideration of the abbot of Faversham and Walter prior of Canterbury, these latter delivered their award, A.D. 1217, 1 of K. Hen. Ill, against the lady of Wylrington and in favour of the abbot of St. Bertin's, that the bell should be removed as an injustice to Throwley Church, and that it should not be re-erected except by consent of the abbot of St. Bertin's, a stipulation being added, that the chaplain serving in "Trulee" should provide oblations for the chapel of Wylrington, when officiating there at the Lord's Supper, "in oblatis et vino capelle de Wilrintune providebit quotiens ad predictam capellam celebraturus accesserit." (Chartulary of St. Bertin's.) For the above extract, as likewise for another given under Leveland above, I am indebted to the kind information of the Rev. Lambert B. Larking, who copied them, and all other matter relating to English history, from the Chartulary still preserved at St. Ouen, the said Chartulary being a transcript of about 1750, which has happily survived the French Revolution, wherein all the original documents perished.
339. Watringbury.—Church originally small, comprising chancel, nave, south porch, and west tower with shingled spire. Now enlarged by recent additions on north side. Font has a pyramidal, not very lofty, wooden cover. Tower may be E.E., but the exterior of the entire building is concealed by plaster. Oldest windows Perp.
- Though foreign to the subject in hand, it may be remarked here, that the language of the above quotation bears upon a ritual question. The expression "in oblatis et vino" manifestly signifying the bread and wine used in the Holy Communion, we may understand, that the term " oblations" in the Prayer for the Church Militant of our own Communion Service also is designed to apply to the bread.