the whole, I conceive this portion of the building to be deserving of some study, though exhibiting little or nothing to guide one in forming an opinion. Similar stone to that in the above-named projection was observed in the tower of Northiam church, Sussex.
Eleven rights of fishing are stated to have been annexed to this manor, but valued only at three shillings and fourpence, "xi piscariæ de iii solidis et iiii denariis." (D. B.) Similar entries continually occur in the survey of Kent, a few being described as fisheries of herrings, many more as of eels, and others being merely named generally. Of these fisheries a few only have been noticed here.
About a mile from the church, north-westward, on the border of Appledore Heath, lies Home Farm, of which the house must formerly have been a mansion of considerable importance. The present dwelling is not modern; but attached to the back of it is the chapel of the ancient mansion. It is a stone building, and still exhibits the frames of three rich windows, besides that of a later and plainer one at the west end. The southern window has been enlarged into a door; the eastern was large. The remaining mullions of all three are very slender, and the interior hoods of somewhat peculiar pattern. The details are early Perp., if not late Dec. The two entire windows are walled up. The roof, which seems in sound condition, is of similar construction to those of Swanborough chapel, in Iford, and Denton church, both in Sussex; an example may be seen in Glossary of Architecture, plate 78, third ed., from Godshill church, Isle of Wight, and supposed to date about A.D. 1450. The brackets on which the wall-pieces rest are carved; which carving, as well as the stonework of the windows, retains its edges as sharp as if fresh from the mason's hand. Beneath the chapel is a cellar, now vaulted with brick, but possibly that is only a facing of comparatively recent date. This building is an interesting relic, and would not perhaps have been suspected to exist in such a locality. A floor has been erected to convert the place into a store-room, but the alteration has caused less injury than might have been anticipated. The following is Hasted' s account of "Hornes Place, or Farm: The mansion was for a great length of time the residence of the family of that name, and till they removed to Kenardington, in the reign of K. Henry VII." The family ended in a female in 1565, soon after which the property was forfeited for recusancy. Note (g), 120. "This estate is now called Great Home, to distinguish it