E. V. d’Invilliers, 1889.
are shaly and the “creep” of the hill above has curved them into irregular beds, worthless for quarrying. It was no doubt due to the heavy covering of soil which led the proprietors to work their quarry at one time by drifts, one of which extended southward and the other eastward, so as to avoid the crest of the hill. The operation could not have been very economical, and no quarry in this section of the range displayed such a quality of stone as to warrant such methods.
Joseph Deal’s quarry is about ¼ of a mile west, and when visited in August, 1888, was just being cleaned out after a long idleness, under a lease to James Haines, who proposed to burn lime for farm use. The quarry is about 100′ long and the dip of the beds is very regular and not over 20°–25° towards the southeast.
The same blue beds of the eastern quarries are exposed here at the bottom of the quarry, over which lie 25′ of thin shaly stone containing an occasional good bed. Only the bottom stone is burned.
A second larger and more extensively worked quarry is opened on this same Diehl property, a little to the southeast and on the east side of the ridge, where a small stream has cut down through the Oriskany sandstone chert, making a wide cove in the underlying limestone. The quarry was quite abandoned and its kiln dismantled; but some excellent stone overlying that developed on the north side of the ridge has evidently been taken from the large opening, 125′ long and 35′ deep, on a dip varying between 80° to 60°, A total thickness of about 30′ of stone shows at this point, generally blue, but in rather thin beds near the top of No. VI.
Sprigman’s quarry, on the north side of the ridge, is ½ a mile west of Diehl’s and a short distance from Freeburg. It is a small opening, but active, and shoots its stone down from an upper ledge of good blue limestone, which should occur geologically in the interval of rock between the two Diehl quarries.
The Freeburg quarries in the point of the ridge north of the local anticlinal are operated by four different parties as follows: 1. Hilbish & Miller, one kiln. 2. Bassler & Glass,