and Mr. Coppin further claims to have introduced the camel and the English thrush into the colonies. He sat for East Melbourne until 1889, when he was defeated, and in August of that year entered the Upper House for Melbourne province.
Corbett, Right Rev. Dr. James Francis, Roman Catholic Bishop of Sale, Vict., was formerly stationed at St. Kilda in that colony, and was appointed first bishop of Sale in May 1887. He was consecrated at St. Mary's, St. Kilda, on August 25th. He held for a considerable period the post of Private Secretary to the late Archbishop Goold. He is a native of Limerick, and the freedom of that city was conferred upon him during a visit to Ireland in 1890.
Corney, Hon. Bolton Glanvill, M.L.C., M.R.C.S., Chief Medical Officer, Fiji, son of Bolton Corney, an author of repute, who wrote a famous attack on Isaac Disraeli's "Curiosities of Literature," was educated at Fontainebleau, in London, and at Schwerin. After studying at St. Thomas's Hospital, he was admitted M.R.C.S., England, in 1874. Three years later he entered the Colonial Service as Government medical officer in Fiji, and was also appointed health officer at Suva in that island. In 1881 he became medical officer to the Immigration Department, and was acting chief medical officer in 1882, 1883, 1884 and 1885. The latter post he has held continuously since June 1887, when he was permanently appointed. Dr. Corney was Acting Agent-General of Immigration from Jan. 1885 to March 1887, and was nominated a member of the Legislative Council and of the Native Regulation Board in the former year. He married, in 1874, Evelyn, daughter of Roland Hill, of Nibley, co. Gloucester.
Costley, Edward, claims a place among the notable colonists of New Zealand, not through any remarkable act which distinguished his long life, but because of his deathbed philanthropy. He was known among the "old identities" of Auckland as a man of rather penurious and retiring habits, who had acquired property in the early days, which, with the growth of the city, had become of great value. On his deathbed he summoned his lawyer, and directed him to divide his wealth among the city charities, seven of these being named. The estate realised £93,000, which was divided between the Auckland Hospital, Old Men's Home, Sailors' Home, Auckland Institute, Costley Training Institute, Auckland Public Library, and the Parnell Orphan Home, each of which received £12,500. Since Mr. Costley's death an unsigned draft will has come to light which showed that he had long contemplated the application of his wealth to charitable purposes. He died on April 17th, 1883.
Cottar, Thomas Young, L.S.A., was the son of Richard Cotter, a purser in the navy, and was born at Bantry, Ireland, in 1805. He served in the West Indies as a naval cadet, and was for some time in charge of the Government store depot at Bermuda. Subsequently he returned to London, and qualified for the medical profession in 1832. In Dec. 1835 he was appointed surgeon to the inchoate settlement of South Australia by the Board of Commissioners of that colony. He arrived in South Australia in the Coromandel in August of the next year, and acted as colonial surgeon. Subsequently he went into private practice, and died at Port Augusta, where he latterly resided, on Jan. 9th, 1882. He was one of the editors of the South Australian Magazine, and founder of the Adelaide Institute.
Couchman, Lieut.-Col. Thomas, was appointed a foreman in the Survey Department of Victoria in 1853; Assistant Surveyor in 1854; District Surveyor in 1854; Chief Mining Surveyor of Victoria in Jan. 1867; Secretary for Mines in Jan. 1877; a member of the Public Service Board in Feb. 1884, and Chairman of the Board in 1889, which position he still occupies. He served in the Volunteers from 1860 to 1883, and retired as Lieutenant-Colonel.
Counsel, Edward Albert, was born at Piper's River, Northern Tasmania, in 1849. Was appointed Government District Surveyor of the Oatlands district in 1880. In 1889 he was placed at the head of the Survey Department of Tasmania, with the title of Deputy Surveyor-General, in succession to the late Charles P. Sprent.
Courthope, Edward L., Auditor-General, Western Australia, entered the Civil Service of Western Australia as clerk in the Audit Office in 1847, and was appointed secretary to the Board of Education in 1854, and Acting Auditor-General in 1863. He resumed his duties as clerk in the