Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 116 Part 1.djvu/613

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.

PUBLIC LAW 107-185—MAY 30, 2002 116 STAT. 587 Public Law 107-185 107th Congress An Act To extend eligibility for refugee status of unmarried sons and daughters of certain May 30, 2002 Vietnamese refugees. [H R 18401 Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, SECTION 1. ELIGroiLITY FOR REFUGEE STATUS. (a) ELIGIBILITY FOR IN-COUNTRY REFUGEE PROCESSING IN VIETNAM.— For purposes of eligibility for in-country refugee processing for nationals of Vietnam during fiscal years 2002 and 2003, an alien described in subsection (b) shall be considered to be a refugee of special humanitarian concern to the United States (within the megming of section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1157)) and shall be admitted to the United States for resettlement if the alien would be admissible as an immigrant under the Immigration and Nationality Act (except as provided in section 207(c)(3) of that Act). (b) ALIENS COVERED. —An alien described in this subsection is an alien who— (1) is the son or daughter of a qualified national; (2) is 21 years of age or older; and (3) was unmarried as of the date of acceptance of the alien's parent for resettlement under the Orderly Departure Program or through the United States Consulate Genered in Ho Chi Minh City. (c) QUALIFIED NATIONAL.—The term "qualified national" in subsection (b)(1) means a nationed of Vietnam who— (1)(A) was formerly interned in a re-education camp in Vietnam by the Government of the Socialist Republic of Vietngim; or (B) is the widow or widower of an individual described in subparagraph (A); (2)(A) qualified for refugee processing under the Orderly Departure Program re-education subprogram; and (B) is or was accepted under the Orderly Departure Program or through the United States Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City— (i) for resettlement as a refugee; or (ii) for admission to the United States as an immediate relative immigrant; and (3)(A) is presently msdntaining a residence in the United States or whose surviving spouse is presently meuntaining such a residence; or