Por una Cabeza
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Literal translation
- By a head of a thoroughbred horse
- who slackens in the final stretch,
- and afterward when it returns seems to say:
- "Remember, brother, you don't lose when you don't play."
- Lost again by a head: the infatuation of a day
- for a flirt who promises while she smiles
- and tells lies about love
- yet my whole heart burns for her.
- By a head!
- It's madness
- but a lying mouth that kisses
- still drives away sadness
- and soothes the bitterness.
- By a head!
- If she forgets me
- I'll lose everything that matters.
- Life is a thousand broken promises--
- but why live at all?
- How many disappointments were lost by a head?
- I swore a thousand times to stop pushing my luck.
- It's no pleasant sight to watch a man lose.
- Yet I remember the burn from her lips and want another kiss.
- I'm done with races. No more foolish chances.
- I won't return to see the bitter end.
- But then next Sunday I'll think some filly is a sure thing.
- I'll gamble; I'll find out. What else can I do?
Wikisource editions of the sheet music
The singable translation is ©2008 Adam Cuerden, who simply asks for attribution when it is used. The original work is public domain: