Presidential Decision 240 of 1967
DECISION No. 240 of 1967
PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
THE BASIC POLICY RELATING TO INDONESIAN CITIZENS OF FOREIGN DESCENT
I, AS ACTING PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
- that on the basis of the Pancasila and holding to the principle of a state based on the rule of law and motivated by the aspirations of the Indonesian Nation to foster unity and unification of the Nation, there needs to be a clarification of the status and fostering of Indonesian citizens of foreign descent;
In View Of:
- Article 4 subsection 1 and Article 27 of the 1945 Constitution;
- Article 4 of MPRS Resolution No. III of 1966;
- Presidential Decision No. 171 of 1967 in conjunction with Decision No. 163 of 1966;
- Decision of the Presidium Cabinet No. 127 of 1966.
To determine: Basic policy relating to Indonesian Citizens of Foreign Descent as follows:
THE STATUS OF INDONESIAN CITIZENS OF FOREIGN DESCENT
Indonesian citizens of foreign descent have the same status in Administrative Law as other Indonesians.
Indonesian citizens of foreign descent are Indonesians with rights and obligations that do not differ from those of other Indonesians.
FOSTERING INDONESIAN CITIZENS OF FOREIGN DESCENT
The fostering of Indonesian Citizens of foreign descent is put into effect through the process of assimilation, particularly to prevent the occurrence of racial exclusiveness.
Discrimination between Indonesian citizens of foreign descent and indigenous Indonesian citizens is denounced and not permitted.
In particular, Indonesian citizens of foreign descent who still use Chinese names are urged to replace them with Indonesian names pursuant to current legislation.
Indonesian citizens of foreign descent are given the same opportunities as indigenous citizens to mobilise their funds and forces in all areas in order to accelerate development and to raise the level of prosperity and welfare of the Indonesian Nation and State.
SUPERVISION AND COORDINATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE BASIC POLICY
Supervision and Coordination of the Implementation of the Basic Policy relating to Indonesian citizens of foreign descent as intended in this Decision are the responsibility of the Minister for Internal Affairs.
This decision shall come into effect on the day of its issue.
Issued at: JAKARTA
Date: 6 December 1967
ACTING PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
GENERAL OF THE TNI