STAGED REDUCTION OF RATES OF DUTY ON CERTAIN PRODUCTS TO CARRY OUT A TRADE AGREEMENT WITH ARGENTINA
By the President of the United States of America
1. I have determined, pursuant to section 101 (a) of the Trade Act of 1974 (the Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2111(a)), that certain existing duties of the United States are unduly burdening and restricting the foreign trade of the United States and that one or more of the purposes of the Trade Act would be promoted by entering into the trade agreement with Argentina identified in the third recital of this proclamation.
2. Sections 131(a), 132, and 133 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2151(a), 2153, and 2154) and section 4(c) of Executive Order No. 11846 of March 27, 1975, have been complied with.
3. Pursuant to Title I of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2111 et seq.), I have, through my duly empowered representative, on August 10, 1979, entered into a trade agreement with Argentina, effective October 1, 1979, pursuant to which United States rates of duty on certain products would be modified as hereinafter proclaimed and as provided for in the annexes to this proclamation, in exchange for certain measures which will benefit United States interests.
4. In order to implement the trade agreement referred to in the third recital of this proclamation it is necessary to modify the Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS) (19 U.S.C. 1202) as provided for in the annexes to this proclamation, attached hereto and made a part hereof.
5. Pursuant to the Trade Act, I determine that the modifications or continuance of existing duties hereinafter proclaimed are required or appropriate to carry out the trade agreement identified in the third recital of this proclamation.
Now, THEREFORE, I, JIMMY CARTER, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes, including sections 101, 105, 109, and 604 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2111, 2115, 2119, and 2483), do proclaim that-
(1) Part 2B and part 5A of schedule 1 of the TSUS are modified as provided in Annexes I and II to this proclamation.
(2) Each of the modifications to the TSUS made by this proclamation shall be effective as to articles entered, or withdrawn from warehouse, for consumption on or after October 1, 1979.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of September, in the year of our Lord, nineteen hundred and seventy-nine and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fourth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 11:33 a.m., October 1, 1979]
NOTE.: The annexes are printed in the FEDERAL REGISTER of October 2, 1979.