- 1. The provisions of references (a) and (b), and paragraphs 1 and 3 of reference (c) in so far as they relate to authorization of Japanese fishing areas, are rescinded.
- 2. Effective this date and until further notice Japanese fishing, whaling and similar operations are authorized within the area bounded as follows: From a point midway between Nosappu Misaki and Kaigara Jima at approximately 43°23' North Latitude, 145°51' East Longitude; to 43° North Latitude, 146°30' East Longitude; thence to 45° North Latitude, 165° East Longitude; thence south along 155th Meridian to 24° North Latitude; west along the 24th Parallel to 123° East Longitude; thence north to 26° North Latitude, 123° East Longitude; thence to 32°30' North Latitude, 125° East Longitude; thence to 33° North Latitude, 127°40' East Longitude; thence to 40° North Latitude, 135° East Longitude; to 45°30' North Latitude, 140° East Longitude; thence east to 45°30' North Latitude, 145° East Longitude rounding Soya Misaki at a distance of three (3) miles from shore; south along 145th Meridian to a point three (3) miles off the coast of Hokkaido; thence along a line three (3) miles off the coast of Hokkaido rounding Shiretoko Saki and passing through Nemuro Kaikyo to the starting point midway between Nosapp Misaki and Kaigara Jima.
- 3. For the purpose of this directive, Japan is defined to include the four main islands of Japan (Hokkaido, Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku) and the approximately 1,000 smaller adjacent islands, including the Tsushima Islands and the Ryukyu (Nansei) Islands north of 30°North Latitude (excluding Kuchinoshima Island), and excluding (a) Utsuryo (Ullung) Island, Liancourt Rocks (Take Island) and Quelpart (Saishu or Cheju Island), (b) the Ryukyu (Nansei) Islands south of 30°North Latitude (including Kuchinoshima Island), the Izu, Nanpo, Bonin (Ogasawara) and Volcano (Kazan or Iwo) Island Groups, and all the outlying Pacific Islands (including the Daito (Ohigashi or Oagari) Island Group, and Parece Vela (Okinotori), Marcus (Minami-tori) and Ganges Habomai (Hapomaze Island Group (including Suisho, Yuri, Akiyuri, Shibotsu and Taraku Islands) and Shikotan Island.
- 3. Authorization in paragraph 2 above is subject to the following provisions:
- (a) Japanese vessels will not approach closer than twelve (12) miles to any island within the authorized area which lies south of 30° North Latitude with the exception of Sofu Gan. Personnel from such vessels will not land on islands lying south of 30° North Latitude, except Sofu Gan, nor have contact with any inhabitants thereof.
- (b) Japanese vessels or personnel thereof will not approach closer than twelve (12) miles to Takeshima (37°15' North Latitude, 131°53' East Longitude) nor have any contact with said island.
- 4. The present authorization does not establish a precedent for any further extension of authrized fishing areas.
- 5. The present authorization is not an expression of allied policy relative to ultimate determination of national jurisdiction, international boundaries or fishing rights in the area concerned or in any other area.
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).