The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Denton
DENTON, a N. E. county of Texas, drained by two forks of Trinity river, and occupied partly by prairies and partly by vast forests called the Cross Timbers; area 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,251, of whom 500 were colored. The chief productions in 1870 were 18,216 bushels of wheat, 173,510 of Indian corn, 41,060 of oats, 11,826 of sweet potatoes, and 674 bales of cotton. There were 6,195 horses, 2,863 milch cows, 35,220 other cattle, 5,331 sheep, and 10,200 swine. Capital, Denton.