The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Indiana (county)
INDIANA, a W. county of Pennsylvania, bounded S. E. by Conemaugh river and drained by numerous small streams; area, 770 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 36,138. It has a hilly surface, well timbered, chiefly with white pine, and abounds in iron ore and bituminous coal. The soil is moderately fertile. The Pennsylvania canal passes along the S. boundary, and a branch of the Central railroad extends to the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 308,183 bushels of wheat, 97,550 of rye, 652,263 of Indian corn, 906,255 of oats, 71,477 of buckwheat, 77,367 of potatoes, 125,891 lbs. of wool, 1,100,925 of butter, and 38,749 tons of hay. There were 11,586 horses, 12,061 milch cows, 13,844 other cattle, 44,054 sheep, and 17,412 swine; 10 manufactories of agricultural implements, 9 of brick, 14 of carriages, 3 of clothing, 15 of furniture, 10 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 4 of marble and stone work, 2 of paper, 13 of saddlery and harness, 2 of salt, 4 of sash, doors, and blinds, 11 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 8 of woollen goods, 8 flour mills, 28 tanneries, 19 currying establishments, 4 planing mills, and 26 saw mills. Capital, Indiana.