The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Wythe
WYTHE, a S. W. county of Virginia, intersected by the Great Kanawha (here called the New) river; area, about 600 sq. m; pop. 1870 11,611, of whom 2,342 were colored, is mostly an elevated plateau, lying between Iron mountain on the south and Walker's mountain on the northwest, and the soil is generally fertile. Iron ore, lead, bituminous coal, limestone, and gypsum are very abundant, and there are traces of silver found in the lead mines. It is intersected by the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 71,913 bushels of wheat, 17,913 of rye, 115,175 of Indian corn, 79,234 of oats, 17,057 of potatoes, 86,144 lbs. of butter, 19,827 of wool, and 4,445 tons of hay. There were 2,176 horses, 2,376 milch cows, 5,550 other cattle, 7,442 sheep, and 8,160 swine; 3 manufactories of pig iron, 1 of pig lead, and 6 flour mills. Capital, Wytheville.