The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Ellsworth
ELLSWORTH, Maine, city, port of entry and county-seat of Hancock County, on both sides of the Union River, and on the Maine Central Railroad; 30 miles southeast of Bangor. It is the trade centre of the county and has extensive timber, ship-huilding and fishing interests, exporting over 50,000,000 feet of lumber annually. It has shoe, woolen, leather, carriage, sails, gasoline engines and other manufacturing industries. The city contains a court-house, custom-house, public library and a city hall. The Union River is crossed by several bridges and furnishes good water power for manufacturing purposes, A fish hatchery is maintained here by the Federal government. The city was settled in 1763, was incorporated as a town in 1800 and as a city in 1869. A mayor and a board of aldermen administer the affairs of the municipality which controls the water-supply system and the electric plant. Pop. 3,549.