The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Fürth
FÜRTH, Bavaria, town situated at the confluence of the Pegnitz and the Regnitz, five miles northwest of Nuremberg, and 950 feet above sea-level. It has broad streets and is entirely modern in appearance, has many fine churches, a synagogue and a modern Rathaus. It manufactures mirrors, mirror-frames, bronze and gold leaf, toys, haberdashery, optical instruments, pencils, silver work, machinery, leather goods, etc. It has a large trade in these and in hops, wool and coal. A large annual fair is held here in October. Fürth was a Vogtei for some time under the burgravate of Nuremberg; in 1314 it passed to the bishops of Bamberg; it was besieged by Gustavus Adolphus in 1632, and two years later it was pillaged and burned by the Croats. It extended tolerance to the Jews and in great part owes its commercial prosperity to them. It passed to Bavaria in 1806 and was chartered in 1818. Pop. 66,500.