The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Nagoya
NAGOYA, nä-gō'yä, Japan, the chief town of Owari province, in the island of Hondo, near the head of Owari Bay, 92 miles by rail east of Kioto. It was formerly a city of great importance, being for a time the capital of the empire. It is still the fourth city in Japan in respect of population and an important centre for the production of pottery and fancy ware, silk and cotton goods, and other manufactures. The chief edifices are the 17th century castle of Owari with its valuable art collection, and the Higashi Hongwanji Buddhist temple. Pop. 389,272.