The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Rensselaer (Indiana)
RENSSELAER, rĕn'sẹ-lėr, Ind., city, county-seat of Jasper County, on the Iroquois River and on the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railroad, about 100 miles northwest of Indianapolis. It was settled in 1834 by David Nowles, John Nowles and Joseph Yeoma. It was incorporated in 1850 and chartered as a city on 1 May 1896. Rensselaer is in an agricultural region; and its industries are chiefly connected with farm products and livestock, of which it makes considerable shipments. There are five churches, Saint Joseph's College, a high school, public elementary schools, Monnet School for Girls, a Catholic seminary, public library, business schools and a national bank, with (1917) capital $60,000 and resources $574,602. The government is vested in a mayor and a council of six members elected biennially. Pop. 2,393.