The Gateless Gate/Tozan's Three Pounds
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A monk asked Tozan when he was weighing some flax: "What is Buddha?"
Tozan said: "This flax weighs three pounds."
- Mumon’s comment: Old Tozan's Zen is like a clam. The minute the shell opens you see the whole inside. However, I want to ask you: Do you see the real Tozan?
- Three pounds of flax in front of your nose,
- Close enough, and mind is still closer.
- Whoever talks about affirmation and negation
- Lives in the right and wrong region.