The New International Encyclopædia/Lund
LUND, lōōnd. An episcopal city of Sweden, situated 5 miles from the Sound, 11 miles northeast of Malmö (Map: Sweden, E 9). Its cathedral, which is the largest and most beautiful Romanesque building in Scandinavia, dates from the twelfth century. Near it are the university buildings, including the historical museum. The university has faculties of theology, law, medicine, and philosophy; was founded in 1666, and is attended by some 650 students. The chief industries of the town are sugar-refining and the manufacture of machinery. Population, in 1901, 16,621. In the Middle Ages Lund was long the largest city of Scandinavia. In the eleventh century it was the seat of a bishopric, which in 1104 was erected into an archiepiscopal see. The Archbishop of Lund claimed jurisdiction over all the sees of Scandinavia. Lund was often the residence of the Danish kings. The town suffered during the wars between Sweden and Denmark, and passed from the possession of the latter in 1658. Here the treaty of peace was signed in 1679 by which Skåne was permanently confirmed as a part of Sweden.