The New International Encyclopædia/Nevada State University
NEVADA STATE UNIVERSITY. The head of the educational system of the State of Nevada and the only institution of collegiate grade within the State. It was founded at Elko in 1873 and was removed to Reno in 1885 and formally reopened in 1886. The university comprises the college of agriculture, including departments of dairying and domestic arts and sciences, the college of arts and science, the college of applied science, with departments of mining and metallurgy and mechanical and civil engineering, a normal department, and the University High School. Military instruction forms part of the curriculum and a uniform is worn by the students. The degrees conferred are those of B.A., B.S., M.A., M.S., and mining, mechanical, and civil engineer. In 1902 the faculty numbered 18 and the attendance was 310, including 90 preparatory students. The library contained 4000 volumes. The university campus covers about 40 acres and with its buildings was valued at $200,000. The value of the college property was $225,000, and the income $62,000.