The New International Encyclopædia/Ohio State University
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. A coeducational State institution at Columbus, Ohio, founded in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, and opened in 1873. The present name was assumed in 1878. The original endowment provided by the Land Act of 1862 has been supplemented by a permanent annual grant from the United States under an act of 1890, by special appropriations of the General Assembly, and by a permanent annual State grant made in 1891 and doubled in 1896. The university is organized in six colleges: Arts, philosophy, and science; agriculture and domestic science; engineering; law; pharmacy; veterinary science. Admission to the college is by certificate from accredited institutions or after examination in five groups of studies—English, history, mathematics, science, and foreign languages. The entire work of the college is arranged on the group and elective systems. It confers the bachelor's degree in course in the various departments, and the engineer's, master's, and doctor's degrees for advanced work. Military instruction and the wearing of a uniform are required of the students. The attendance in 1903 was 1717, distributed as follows: Arts, 527; engineering, 662; law, 166; agriculture, 243; pharmacy, 40; veterinary medicine, 94. The faculty numbers 133. The library contains 44,523 volumes. The university grounds consist of 345 acres, of which 235 are devoted to agricultural and horticultural purposes. A laboratory is maintained at Sandusky for summer work. The value of the property under the control of the university in 1903 was $2,850,000, the grounds and buildings being valued at $2,500,000. The total endowment was $569,876, and the income $545,909.