The New International Encyclopædia/Pennsylvania State College
PENNSYLVANIA STATE COLLEGE. A coeducational institution of higher learning at State College, Pa., organized on a collegiate basis as the Farmers' High School in 1859. In 1862 the name was changed to The Agricultural College of Pennsylvania, and in 1874 to its present title. The principal income of the college is derived from the sale of public lands held in trust by the State. The grounds contain 400 acres, of which the campus covers 60 acres, the remainder being devoted to a model farm. The courses of instruction occupy four years. The general courses offered are a classical general science, a Latin scientific, and a philosophical course. The technical courses include agriculture, biology, chemistry, civil, electrical, mechanical, and mining engineering, mathematics, and physics. All courses, except the classical, lead to the B.S. degrees. In the graduate courses the degrees of C.E., M.E., E.M., E.E., and M.S. are conferred. In 1902 the faculty numbered 48; the college was attended by 602 students, of whom 420 were in the School of Engineering; 1800 persons took correspondence courses in agriculture. The endowment was $517,000, the income was $137,992, and the value of the college grounds, buildings, and equipment was $850,000. The library contained 19,181 volumes.