The New International Encyclopædia/Trans-Mississippi Exposition
TRANS-MISSISSIPPI EXPOSITION. An exposition held in Omaha, Neb., from June 1 to October 31, 1898. The site covered about 200 acres, a mile to the north of the city. The main buildings, which contained the exhibits devoted to Agriculture, Fine Arts, Machinery and Electricity, Manufactures, Mines and Mining, and the United States Government, were grouped around a grand court which extended through the middle of the grounds and surrounded the lagoon or canal which terminated at its west end into a three-lobed lake 400 feet across, at the extreme west end of which was an electric fountain. The grounds were also skillfully improved by the presence of trees, shrubs, and flowering plants until the arid prairie became so changed as to gain the name of Magic City. The buildings were covered with white staff, adorned with intricate carving and classical statuary, resulting in the production of an artistic effect of remarkable beauty. Of special interest among the amusement features was the ethnological gathering of 500 Indians, representing 25 tribes. The total attendance was 2,613,508, and the total receipts $1,924,077.