The New Student's Reference Work/Bismarck, N. Dakota
Bismarck, N. Dakota, since 1889 capital of the state, on the Missouri River. Four federal buildings are located here—an Indian school an army post, a weather bureau and a modern building containing the new post office, the land office and the federal courts. The state buildings are the capitol and the penitentiary. The city has good grammar schools, a model high school, ample fire and police protection, good sewerage and well lighted streets. Sixteen wholesale houses have their home offices or branches here and there are three excellent banking institutions. It has the service of two railroads. The site of the town was visited by the explorers, Lewis and Clarke, but it was not until after 1875 that it was incorporated. Population, 5,443.