The New Student's Reference Work/Ohio State University
Ohio State University, at Columbus, was organized as Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, and was opened in 1873. By legislation in 1878 the name was changed to The Ohio State University. The university is maintained by an annual grant from the United States and permanent annual grants from the state. It comprises colleges of agriculture, arts, philosophy and science, engineering, law and veterinary medicine. The university is open to both sexes, and is nonsectarian. The instructors number 233, the students 3,181. It has a library comprising 70,000 volumes and an annual income of over $690,000.