The New Student's Reference Work/Pittston, Pa.
Pitt′ston, Pa., city, in Luzerne County, on Susquehanna River and in the center of the rich anthracite region of northeastern Pennsylvania. Its manufactories, which have the advantage of abundant and cheap fuel, include machine-shops, planing, knitting, flour and paper-mills, stove and steel-range works, terra-cotta works, ladies' underwear factory, dye-works and pressed-brick works. West Pittston, across the river and connected with it, is the chief residential part of the city. It also has electric connection with Nanticoke, Plymouth and Wilkes-Barre, and has the service of four railroads. Pittston was named after William Pitt, and was settled about 1770. Population 16,267.