The Power of Darkness
- PETER IGNÁTITCH. A well-to-do peasant, 42 years old, married for the second time, and sickly.
- ANÍSYA. His wife, 32 years old, fond of dress.
- AKOULÍNA. Peter's daughter by his first marriage, 16 years old, hard of hearing, mentally undeveloped.
- NAN (ANNA PETRÓVNA). His daughter by his second marriage, 10 years old
- NIKÍTA. Their laborer, 25 years old, fond of dress.
- AKÍM. Nikíta's father, 50 years old, a plain-looking, God-fearing peasant.
- MATRYÓNA. His wife and Nikíta's mother, 50 years old.
- MARÍNA An orphan girl, 22 years old.
- MARTHA. Peter's sister.
- MÍTRITCH An old laborer, ex-soldier.
- SIMON. Marína's husband.
- BRIDEGROOM. Engaged to Akoulína.
- IVÁN. His father.
- A NEIGHBOR.
- FIRST GIRL.
- SECOND GIRL.
- POLICE OFFICER.
- BEST MAN
- VILLAGE ELDER.
- VISITORS, WOMEN, GIRLS, AND PEOPLE come to see the wedding
N.B.--The "oven" mentioned is the usual large, brick, Russian baking-oven. The top of it outside is flat, so that more than one person can lie on it.