The South Staffordshire Coalfield
AND OF THE
MUSEUM OF PRACTICAL GEOLOGY.
SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE COAL-FIELD.
J. BEETE JUKES. M.A. Camb., F.R.S., &c.,
LOCAL DIRECTOR OF THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF IRELAND.
PUBLISHED BT ORDER OF THE LORDS COMMISSIONERS OF HER MAJESTY'S TREASURY.
PRINTED FOR HER MAJESTY'S STATIONERY OFFICE.
LONGMAN, GREEN, LONGMAN, AND ROBERTS.
The Memoir on the Geology of the South Staffordshire Coal-field, by Mr. J. Beete Jukes, having been long out of print, a second edition was much called for, and it gives me satisfaction to perceive that a work which has proved so useful to the mining proprietors of that district should have undergone material improvements by Mr. Jukes, who, having himself re-examined the tract, has availed himself of all the information afforded by new workings, &c.
The statistical note by Mr. R. Hunt on the amount of coal and iron raised in South Staffordshire has been brought up to the year 1858.
Geological Survey Office
Jermyn Street, London
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
- List of Maps and Sections
vii ix 1
- Chapter II.— Description of the Rocks:
1. The Lias
- Chapter III. — Description of the Rocks, continued:
2. The New Red Sandstone
- Chapter IV. — Description of the Rocks, continued:
3. The Permian Rocks, or Lower Red Sandstone
- Chapter V. — Description of the Rocks, continued:
4. The Coal-measures, General Description
- Chapter VI. — Description of the Rocks, continued:
Detailed Description of the Coal-measures
- Chapter VII. — Description of the Rocks, continued:
5. The Silurian Rocks
- Chapter VIII.—Description of the Rocks, continued:
- Chapter IX.—Original relation of the Formations to each other,
as regards conformability or unconformability
- Chapter X.—Position and Lie of the Rocks:
- Chapter XI.—Position and Lie of the Rocks:
- Chapter XII.—The Boundary Faults and the Rocks surrounding
175 189 201 207 208 211
- Note on the Stigmaria Beds of the South Staffordshire Coal
Field; by Sir Henry De la Beche, C.B., F.R.S.
- Note on the Mode of Working the Coal and Ironstone of South
Staffordshire; by Warington W. Smyth, M.A. Camb., F.R.S.,
G.S., Lecturer on Mining and Mineralogy at the Government
School of Mines
- Note on Coal raised and Iron made in the Year 1858 in South
Staffordshire; by Robert Hunt, F.R.S., Keeper of Mining
LIST OF MAPS AND SECTIONS.
The Maps to which reference is made in this Memoir are those of the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain, coloured Geologically by the Geological Survey, and consist of the following Sheets of those Maps, of which new and revised editions have been lately published:—
|Sheet||54.||N.W. Quarter Sheet.|
|—||62.||N.W. N.E., S.W., and S.E. Quarter Sheets.|
|—||72.||S.W. and S.E. Quarter Sheets.|
The Horizontal Sections are Sheets 23, 24, 25, and 45, containing the following Sections : —
Sheet 23, No. 1, N. and S. from Bellbroughton, over Clent Hills, through Dudley, Bentley, and Brereton to Rugeley. No. 4. E. and W. across Brereton Colliery district. No. 5, E.S.E. and W.N.W. through Wyrley and Brown Hills.
Sheet 24, No. 2, N. and S. from Lappal, by Rowley, Dudley, and Sedgley to Compton, near Wolverhampton. No. 3, N. and S. through Hagley Park, Brierley Hill, Barrow Hill, Turner's Hill, and Lidget Hill. No. 6, E. and W. through Sedgley, Darlaston, and Walsall to Barr Beacon.
Sheet 25, No. 7, E. and W. through Kingswinford, Dudley, and Westbromwich. No. 8, E. and W. through Wordesley, Brierley Hill, and Rowley to Langley Mill. No. 9, E. and W. through Stourbridge, Cradley, the Hawn, Mucklow Hill, and the Quinton. No. 10, N. and S. through Frankly, Beeches, Hasbury, the Hawn, to the Old Lion Colliery.
Sheet 45, part of No. 1, E. and W. through Essington Wood and Pelsall, continued to the Coalbrookdale Coal-field.
The Vertical Sections referred to are Sheets 16, 17, 18, and 26, containing the following 52 pit sections, on the scale of 40 feet to the inch:—
Sheet 16. No. 1. Brereton, near Rugeley.
Sheet 16. No. 2. Hammerwich, Cannock Chase.
Sheet 16. No. 3. Wyrley district.
Sheet 16. No. 4. Aldridge trial pits.
Sheet 16. No. 5. Harrison's water engine, Brown Hills.
Sheet 16. No. 6. Bentley district.
Sheet 16. No. 7. Ryecroft, near Walsall.
Sheet 16. No. 8. Ettingshall Lodge, near Wolverhampton.
Sheet 16. No. 9. Chillington colliery, near Wolverhampton.
Sheet 16. No. 10. Two pits at Priestfield, near Wolverhampton.
Sheet 16. No. 11. Trentham colliery, near Willenhall.
Sheet 16. No. 12. Tipton Green colliery.
Sheet 16. No. 13. Bagnall's Limestone pits, Dudley Port.
Sheet 17. No. 14. Burnt Tree and Coneygree pits, Dudley.
Sheet 17. No. 15. Great Bridge colliery, Westbromwich.
Sheet 17. No. 16. Lyng colliery, Westbromwich.
Sheet 17. No. 17. Heath pits (with plan of headings), Westbromwich.
Sheet 17. No. 18. Brichyfield colliery, near Oldbury.
Sheet 17. No. 19. Oakfarm, near Himley.
Sheet 17. No. 20. Parkfield, near Wolverhampton.
Sheet 17. No. 21. Sedgley Hall farm, trial pit.
Sheet 17. No. 22. Tintam Abbey clay works, near Stourbridge.
Comparative Sections of Thick Coal, on Scale of 1 inch to 6 feet:—
Sheet 18. No. 23. Barrow Hill and Graveyard pits, near Dudley.
Sheet 18. No. 24. Corbyn's Hall and Level colliery.
Sheet 18. No. 25. Old Lion colliery, Cradley Heath.
Sheet 18. No. 26. Blackheath colliery, S. of Rowley Regis.
Sheet 18. No. 27. Boring at " Ruck of Stones," Smethwick.
Sheet 18. No. 28. Bullock farm pits, Westbromwich.
Sheet 18. No. 29. Dudley Brothers colliery, near Bloxwich.
Sheet 18. No. 30. Monmore colliery, near Willenhall.
Sheet 18. No. 31. Shut End colliery, near Kingswinford.
Sheet 18. No. 32. Walling pits, between Bilston and Wolverhampton.
Sheet 18. No. 33. Black Delph, S. of Brierly Hill.
Sheet 18. No. 34. Tividale, old pit at, near Dudley.
Sheet 18. No. 35. Wordesley Bank colliery.
Sheet 18. No. 36. Shaver's End trial pits.
Sheet 18. No. 37. Cann Lane, S. of Sedgley.
Sheet 26. No. 38. Essington colliery, Mr. Mills's.
Sheet 18. No. 39. Wyrley, deep sinking by Mr. Gilpin.
Sheet 18. No. 40. Bentley, north of Deepmore coppice.
Sheet 18. No. 41. Brown Hills, Cathedral pits, Mr. Harrison's.
Sheet 18. No. 42. Brown Hills, Conduit colliery, Mr. Harrison's.
Sheet 18. No. 43. Pelsall Wood and Haddock's Moor.
Sheet 18. No. 44. Coppy Hall colliery, Walsall Wood.
Sheet 18. No. 45. Bentley, Victory pit.
Sheet 18. No. 46. Pelsall, High Bridge trough.
Sheet 18. No. 47. Rowley, Ramrod Hall pits.
Sheet 18. No. 48. Himley, Round Hill pits.
Sheet 18. No. 49. New Bromley Lane, near Kingswinford.
Sheet 18. No. 50. Goldthorn Hill waterworks, near Wolverhampton.
Sheet 18. No. 51. Highfields, near Bilston.
Sheet 18. No. 52. Tividale, near Dudley.
These Maps and Sections are to be procured at the Museum of Practical Geology, Jermyn Street, London, or from Messrs. Longman & Co., Paternoster Row, London.
- The Geological Survey was founded in 1835 as the Ordnance Geological Survey, under Henry De la Beche. This was the world's first national geological survey. It remained a branch of the Ordnance Survey for many years. In 1965, it was merged with the Geological Museum and Overseas Geological Surveys, under the name of "Institute of Geological Sciences". On 1 January 1984, the institute was renamed the British Geological Survey, a name still carried as of 2019. (Wikisource contributor note)
- The Museum of Practical Geology, now the Geological Museum and part of the Natural History Museum in London, was started in 1835 and is one of the oldest single science museums in the world. It transferred from Jermyn Street to Exhibition Road, South Kensington in 1935. (Wikisource contributor note)