Translation:Mishnah/Seder Zeraim/Tractate Peah/Chapter 1
- These are the things that have no measure:
- The Peah of the field, the first-fruits, the appearance [at the Temple in Jerusalem on Pilgrimage Festivals],
- acts of kindness, and the study of the Torah.
- These are things the fruits of which a man enjoys in this world,
- while the principle remains for him in the World to Come:
- Honoring father and mother,
- acts of kindness,
- and bringing peace between a man and his fellow.
- But the study of Torah is equal to them all.
- One should not make the Peah less than one-sixtieth of the entire crop,
- And though there no definite amount is given for Peah.
- It is all based upon the size of the field,
- the number of poor who will be collecting it,
- and the abundance of the crop.
- Leave the Peah from the beginning [of the harvest] of the field or in the middle [of the harvest].
- Rabbi Shimon says:
- Only give out of the final measure.
- Rabbi Yehudah says:
- If he has left even one stalk, he must give Peah.
- And if otherwise, he is giving away his crop to the public.
- In general, they say about the corner,
- all that is food, guard and grow from the ground,
- and collect it as one crop and bring it in to observe the obligation of Peah.
- And the grain and the legumes are in this general rule.
- And as for the trees:
- The sumac, the carob, the nuts, the almond,
- the grapevines, the pomegranate, the olive,
- and the dates are obligated in Peah.
- Continually, he may give of Peah
- and is exempt from the tithes until he spreads it,
- and gives it out as abandoned,
- it is exempt from tithes until he spreads it,
- and feed it to animals and to the beast and to the birds,
- and it is exempt from tithes until he spreads it.
- One may take from the granary and sow seed
- and it is exempt from tithes until he spreads it,
- these are the words of R’ Akiva.
- If a priest and a Levite took a granary,
- the tithes are theirs until it is spread.
- Dedicated and redeemed produce are obligated in tithes
- until the treasurer spreads it.