User talk:Dovi/Archive 1
- 1 Admin
- 2 Destroyed Login
- 3 gettysburg template
- 4 Templates to provide clean text
- 5 Hebrew
- 6 Rashi's notes on the Torah
- 7 Tallit
- 8 Sanhedrin
- 9 Cleanup
- 10 Talmud
- 11 Expansion
- 12 Talmud Copyright Issue
- 13 Main page clean up
- 14 Wikispource??
- 15 Persian Wikisource
- 16 Stats on Main page
- 17 Yiddish Wikipedia Poll
- 18 Pirke Avot
- 19 logo poll on he.ws?
- 20 The free library
- 21 Question
- Thanks!Dovi 03:39, 16 September 2005 (UTC)
Why did someone destroy my login info?
I typed my user I.D. and password correctly, but the login page says that I don't exist.
I am WB2, and I am also on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
220.127.116.11 23:44, 18 October 2005 (UTC)
(Moved to Talk:Gettysburg Address.
Templates to provide clean text
Hi I was reading some of the older disscussion about annottated text. This is after I got in a disscussion about Wikification in the Scriptorium about my recent contributions i.e."Fuzzy-Wuzzy". I really agree with your points in those disscusions even though I have been "soiling" some texts. I would like to use a template to preserve the source text, but I can't seem to find one in the Wiki. I really have no idea how to make one. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks--BirgitteSB 01:39, 8 November 2005 (UTC)
- Thank you for all your help. Could you check out my user page and let me know what you think about that sort of setup compared to "Fuzzy-Wuzzy". I feel this set-up would answer objections, but do you feel it is an appropriate way display poetry? Will it become to cumbersome with longer works? It is not a great deal more efffort and by using templates there is an extra line of security for the proofread and formatted text.--BirgitteSB 16:26, 9 November 2005 (UTC)
Dovi, I notice you are fleuent in both Hebrew and English. I understand a small subset of spoen Hebrew (yes, more than simiply that which begins with, "Baruch Atah") but I am not conversent. I know some words when I see them, and can sometimes (albeit rarely) figure out a new word when I see it; but to call this skill "reading Hebrew" over-states things a bit. I have poked arround for a good way to truly learn the language (as opposed to toying with it to satisfy my personal, and theological curiocities) and am at a loss for where to start. I found a Wikibook <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew> on the subject — but it's really barely a draft, and with many errors. Would you be hind enough to point me in the right direction? Among other things, I'd like to be able to contribute to he.wiki* given time. Thank you, sir. —Wikijeff
Rashi's notes on the Torah
Dovi, do you know if a Public Domain English translation of Rashi's notes to the Torah exist? I've looked but it seems that any I find are new enough to be under copyright. Also, is there a Hebrew copy on he.wikisource? Thanks. —Wikijeff
Dovi, I know different traditions exist regarding the proper creation of a Tallit. Tallitot have been arround for a long time though, so I'm sure books exist that detail their creation (a how-to manual, if you will) for various traditions. Do you know of any books, preferably in English, that are fit for wikisource and contain that kind of information? Thanks yet again. —Wikijeff
I'm currently in the process of revising the wikipedia article on the w:sanhedrin. Most notably, its in need of proper citation in general, and expansion with repsect to the Ancient Sanhedrin in particular. I have had a fellow wikipedan give me a summation of the informaton that the page contains in other languages, with one glaring exception: Hebrew. I personally don't know anybody at wikipedia that is He/En bilingual. If its not too much to ask, could you read over the Hebrew article and leave a summation of its contents on my wikipedia user talk page . I'm looking for information that is present in the Hebrew version that is not present in the English one, and any apparent contradictions between the two articles. Thanks a lot. —Wikijeff
- Fair enough, thanks. I may need some help fact-checking some things durring the revision of the current English article. So, I may pass run some things by you, as they come-up. :-) Kecha later! —Wikijeff
Hello Dovi. I placed Talmud under cleanup because there were many links that are listed that should be expanded. Also, if you visit Talmud Tractate Nedarim, only one of the innumerable pages are present. Therefore, it is not that the pages need to be rewritten or organized, but they should be expanded. :-)
Also, the About Wikisourcepage should be expanded. It should define the function of Wikisource rather than state that is is a public domain and a sisterproject of Wikipedia. :-)
Thanks for your questions, J.Steinbock
I placed the Expand Template on this page. If you do not find it neccessary, then you may remove it. :-)
I saw that you had removed the template, but I was a bit confused on your reasoning. I am sure your reasons were logical, but I am just wondering. Thank you. : )
Yes, that helps. Thank you for your time and explanation. - User:J.Steinbock/sig
P.S. - Thanks for voting. I appreciate your input.
Talmud Copyright Issue
Dovi, I have done a little bit of reserch with respect to works published without a copyright notice. I have posted more comments on the Talk:Talmud page, including a link to an explenation of the laws respecting this issue on the US Copyright Office webpage. If you, and the other Admins could look this over; and assuming enough data on the matter exists, possibly render a verdict on this matter. Thanks, and have a happy Chanukkah! —Wikijeff
- I posted request for assistance at the Scriptorium. Thanks. With luck, sombody with more understanding on the matter of copyright will give a clear "yea" or "nay" on the matter. I'll keep you updated! —Wikijeff
Main page clean up
I really don't remember adding those line breaks, but no, there was no reason for it. On IE those line breaks don't do anything weird (like it does for you on Firefox) so I would have never thought to change it. I guess with the line breaks it just takes up some of that blank space, but it really doesn't matter how it's layed out. This way's just as fine.—Zhaladshar (Talk) 14:13, 21 December 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for spotting that so fast. I am getting tired tonight. Kind regards Apwoolrich 20:48, 21 December 2005 (UTC)
Hi, please add an interwiki link to the Main Page for [[fa:]]. Kaveh 00:13, 29 December 2005 (UTC)
Shalom I want to add readings of the Parshiot: I have already recorded Shemot but don't know what to do with it. Write to me at email@example.com
Stats on Main page
Works fine for me, but what does 'There have been 0 page views' actually mean? IMHO it would be more useful to have the means of finding somewhere what new documents, (as opposed to edits on existing ones), have been added, instead of having to wade through pages and pages of recent changes filtering out the rest of the entries. Say a box listing new titles added in each 24 hour period. This means admins and the like would be better able to monitor contentious stuff. Kind regards. Apwoolrich 18:36, 5 February 2006 (UTC)
- Well, well, I never knew we had a new page page! I have added a request to Scriptorium about this, as I have not been able to work out how to do it myself. Many thanks for the tip. Apwoolrich 20:53, 5 February 2006 (UTC)
Yiddish Wikipedia Poll
please give us your vote regarding opening public statistics counter for the Yiddish wikipedia. thanks so much in advance--18.104.22.168 12:52, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
Firstly, it looks like you've done a lot of work in the world of Jewish text. Thanks for your hard work.
Secondly, can you add a section to each part of mishnah avot (in the english section) with the Hebrew text, if you have a chance?
Also, I'm going through and adding english for most of them that do not have, but my translation is not perfect (it's very loose, whereas I've noticed yours is much tighter.) If you wanna change some of it, please do so, as you are obviously much more fluent than I.
logo poll on he.ws?
Hi, Dovi. I just wanted to know if you plan to start a poll on he.ws about the logo (de, en, fr, it, ja have started. I asked es and pl, but from what I gather, it does not look too good)
Kcyclopedist 02:02, 12 March 2006 (UTC)
- Will do! Dovi 16:14, 12 March 2006 (UTC)
- Great, thanks! I'm adding the link on all the other pages! Kcyclopedist 00:59, 13 March 2006 (UTC)
The free library
Thank for the compliment. Don't feel bad, it hard to not get carried away when you are heavily invested in something. You should have seen my first drafts! There have been times I have posted those :P If I am thinking properly, I always try to edit my online comments so I could almost believe Jane Bennett wrote them. Thanks for bringing the discussion to my attention. I had actually been following the Main Page Redesign through the last few drafts and never noticed that particular change.--BirgitteSB 15:57, 20 March 2006 (UTC)
That's really odd, I'd left a message on your talk page about a week ago telling you about Amigne's questions on wikipedia & asking you if you knew when & where the decision was made regarding the Wikisource slogan and description (as she'd asked me this on my wikipedia talk page) but it's not here now & doesn't show up on your history page. Either I didn't hit save, which I don't think is the case or the computer just didn't save it & it disappeared when I closed the window. In either case it seems to have disappeared, so I shouldn't be surprised you didn't answer. Sorry about that, I should check the pages before I close windows. AllanHainey 15:39, 6 April 2006 (UTC)
- Dovi, I've realised what I did, I checked my contributions page & realised I'd left the message for Droll instead of you. I must've got confused with the D's. Anyway the message was "Hi Droll, Don't know if you'd seen it but W:User:Amgine was soliciting for info on the sister projects dispute to take to the Communications Committee weekly meeting. I left her some info on her talk page but she's asked "Could you direct me to the discussion on Wikisource where the decision was made regarding the Wikisource slogan and description." I think this was before I got involved in wikisource but you've referred to it in the discussions on the wikipedia sister projects talk page so I was wondering if you could let me know where/when this discussion/decision was made & I'll pass it on. You may care to let her know your thoughts too.